Some WAG predictions...

<

-- Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss:

email: snipped-for-privacy@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Don Lancaster

Oops, make that <

may have to scroll down to Jan 2 with some newsgroup readers.

-- Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss:

email: snipped-for-privacy@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Don Lancaster

Nice, but there seem to be postings for Jan 3, 4, and 5, when today is Jan 2. Are the predictions labeled Jan 2, 2012 suppose to be Jan 2,

2013? Do you have a working time travel machine? Y2K problems?
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Wristwatches? Nah. I've give you that cell phone is "automatically" the correct time and can even change time zones by itself, not to mention all of the other goodies that come along with it.

But the utility of a quick glance at the analog display on the left (right) wrist for "How close to lunchtime is it?" wins over digging into the pocket/holster/purse/backpack/pile-of-stuff-on-the-desk just for the current time.

Reply to
Rich Webb

The first few entries of each year are usually pretty much the same. At least until real estate un-debacles itself.

It is also more time and content effective to do several daily entries at once.

Thanks for pointing out an uncaught typo.

An alternate take on the Mayan long count can be found at

<

Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

Good to read that you have your PI working. Fustrating isn't it ;)

Martin Riddle

If you have to ask when it is lunchtime, you are probably working for some outfit that draws far too high a distinction between casual dress days and clothing optional ones.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

That is why I have long been down on Linux and its UNIX heritage.

There is rude surprise upon rude surprise piled upon rude surprise over and over again. Unending even.

Ferinstance, you likely have to have a NTSC monitor to be able to set your HDMI one to display properly. I am back to green-on-green from an Apple II monitor.

Which, of course, requires its own secret settings to get at the first few characters normally hidden by wraparound.

Fustrating's last album did go platinum, though.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

Besides, they're jewellery. Although DL's WAG would seem to be a rather safe prediction (few kids wear watches these days and most of them into their double-digit years have smart phones) I actually expect a major comeback, perhaps optionally as a remote screen for the smart phone to conveniently and discreetly show time, GPS location, and push notifications such as IMs and tweats (sic). Smart phones are going to get BIGGER... most of those who have had a smart phone actually want a bigger screen and longer battery life, so soon the mighty phablets (5" and bigger screens) will roam the land. Apple ought to eat some crow and smarten up before others step up to the plate and eat their lunch.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Well, there is a bit to get used to, but then I wanted to make my first TCP application a while ago. I downloaded a sample program from the net and had a complete working app running in one afternoon! (This was on a Beagle Board, but still quite similar.) I was totally amazed that I could go from knowing nothing at all about how to build a TCP app to having it working in just a couple hours!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I have in the past (and have many friends that still do) worked in areas where no cell phone will every be. As a friend had pointed out to him by a newbe there:

We're the only folks left with watches...

David Lesher

Mebbe not, mine works straight into the old plasma telly ( set for PAL) in the setup file.

Cheers ........ Rheilly P

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

yeah, TCP is easy if you've used unbuffered I/O before there's very little to learn, for TCP. SSL is a bit harder.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Well, but all the complexity is hidden by the libraries. I just linked to a couple libraries with standard functions, and the sample app received TCP packets. Then, I hooked that code to the code that wiggled the GPIO pins as needed, and I had a complete custom TCP service, all done in an afternoon! I was VERY impressed at how EASY this was to do in a Linux environment.

I don't know why Don finds it so hard. Yes, there are some quirks and things that may not work right on every possible hardware configuration, but for the guy who turned PostScript into a programming language, it shouldn't be that hard.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

libraries? connect(), send(), recv(), read(), and write() are kernel calls. gethostbyname() is a library call, but you if you know the IP address you don't need to use it.

I think he prefers olinuxino. and that microchip MIPS CPU based computer.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

What do they sound like?

Reply to
josephkk

With all due respect, your problem was due to using Windows, and its insistence on hiding the raw media concept from you. As the saying goes, Linux is friendly, it's just mercurial in its choice of friends.

Reply to
Przemek Klosowski

My favorite wristwatch has solar batteries and works off WWv, so it never stops and is always accurate. My smartphone didn't work very well in southern PA because cell coverage was so weak even when it existed it drained the battery in no time.

For a new take on the wristwatch, check out the Pebble e-ink smartphone- connected wristwidget on Kickstarter:

iphone-and-android

Reply to
Przemek Klosowski