Solid caps can blow up?

That sounds like a poor idea unless you're using DI water. In any case I see not reason to do so. Blowing out the dust bunnies is good enough for me.

Reply to
rbowman

Why does anyone need a monster GPU? Serious scientific simulation?

99+ % of PC compute power is used for gaming and bitcoin mining.

Gaming has destroyed the brains of millions of kids. Coin mining uses more power that many poor countries.

One day GPUs will run LTspice simulations so that you don't need to use a calculator to solve for resistor values.

Reply to
Ricky

Why? It's not necessary. Just blow all the dust out with a can of compressed air.That's much easier and less risky.

Reply to
Ken Blake

Or sweep it with a paint brush. Take a minute.

Take a 3 foot length of garden hose. Put one end in your mouth and blow sharply, while directing the other end into the computer's nooks and crannies.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yes. Enormous calculations are done by GPUs, for example the supercomputer "Summit" uses mainly GPUs:

Not here. Bitcoin mining doesn't even pay for the electricity used.

Absolute and utter mythical bullshit. It's actually been shown it vastly improves a lot of the brain's abilities. You've got to do a lot of thinking all at once.

Actually more than the Netherlands I think it is. It's utterly stupid and I can't believe the greenies haven't shut it down. I use curecoin and gridcoin, but they don't do senseless calculations, they count how much real science you've done on various projects and reward you to offset your costs.

The only thing I liked about the bitcoin idea was keeping the government out, but somehow the US government can actually tax you on Bitcoin profits?! How do they know?!

We don't need to hide from the government, we need to delete the government.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You don't need a processor that can do 20 trillion calculations in a second to find a resistor value.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You buy air, ROTFPMSL, one born every minute. I bet you drink bottled water too.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yes, I have done that to give a GPU a good cleanout, after removing the heatsink etc. I was replacing the heat transfer compound anyway.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I run sims that take 20 minutes to simulate milliseconds of real time. I'd love LT Spice to run on a GPU, maybe 500x faster.

What circuits are those? Must be something pretty complex.

Is it using multiple CPU cores? If it's a linear calculation, a GPU won't help. GPUs do thousands of things at once, but not that fast.

Just learn to write OpenCL code, how hard can it be?

I found this from 10 years ago on an LT Spice forum:

"LTspice supports multithreading using all threads(cores) of your CPU if the circuit is large enough. The majority of the circuits we have had in this group can't even take advantage of 8 threads. The latest 6 core CPU from Intel supports 12 threads (6 cores plus hyperthreading) and the

8 core CPU with 16 threads is coming soon. This means the many cores are good for really large circuits in the simulation for IC-designs with thousands of transistors."
Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Or very quick, so you need a very small maximum step size. I've ccertainly simulated circuits that simulated that slowly.

Then recode Berkely Spice in OpenCL code? It clearly wouldn't be hard, but it would be tedious.

There were some feckless optimists around then.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

I'll stick with my pancake compressor and an air gun, thank you.

Reply to
rbowman

You shoot your motherboard with an air gun? I assume you're operating it without bullets or something?

It's so much easier just to blow with your own mouth.

And what the f*ck is a pancake compressor? Pancakes are already flat, they don't need compressing.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Well, if your practiced with that sort of thing. Can you suck the chrome off a trailer hitch too>

Note: stuff you buy from China Freight may or may not work but those were the first photos I came across.

The IT guy has a handy thing something like this:

but I already have a compressor and vacuum cleaner.

Reply to
rbowman

Ah well when you said gun I assumed you meant gun, especially being American.

Hardly the same pressure requirements.

110psi? That's shit. Mine does 5000psi. It's for scuba tanks. Actually I could clean my board with a scuba tank.

For the motherboard, you don't need a strong blast of air, so why get any equipment out? Your mouth can blow dust for goodness sake. Do you get polishing tools out to wipe dust off your mobile phone screen?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Compressors tend to accumulate rusty water inside.

I knew some optimists that had feckels.

Reply to
John S

Scuba tanks are no fun. With that compressor you could get a PCP air rifle and really rock.

rbowman