Soldering Iron Recommendations?

Phil Hobbs wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@electrooptical.net:

soldering classes at TEK taught us to keep the irons at 600degF,but I usually had mine at 700degF. Most of the Weller tips TEK stocked were 600degF,a couple of the bigger ones were 900degF.They were those magnetic-switching tips,no " 50's" increments. The big fears the classes mentioned were about too high a heat causing pad lifting or via expansion and cracking at an inner layer on multilayer PCBs.

TEK switched to 63/37 solder a long time ago,after using 60/40 or the 3% AG stuff.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That's the difference then--I'm usually doing dead-bug things at 750. For boards I usually use Mecals. (I'm looking for one for home at the moment.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

I've got the 15845 TL and love it. Even got to crank it up to max to solder two heat sink posts to a board today.

:I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is :disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old. : :I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication. : :What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as... : : Weller WLC100 Soldering Station : : ...Jim Thompson

Since the WTCPT has served so well for so long, why change? When my 30 yr old WTCPT faded and died a couple of years back I just went out and bought a new one. Value for money is still quite good imo. Failing that, I would recommend Hakko.

Reply to
Ross Herbert