Soldering iron watts?

I'm going to put an electronics kit together that consists of soldering components, including ICs, onto a PC board.

I have a new cheapo pen type 30 watt soldering iron. The last time I used it I couldn't even get it hot enough to solder a couple of thin wires together and had to resort to a 120 watt gun to do the job.

My question is, what is the preferred tool for the job here (without purchasing professional equipment). My fear is getting something so hot I could damage the electronic components.

Dallas

Reply to
Dallas

Sounds more like a 3 watt iron.

What you need is thermostatically controlled iron with variable temperature and interchangeable tips.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

You're doing something wrong then !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

In reasonably skilled hands it doesn't really matter. For years I used a cheapo Radio Shack 40W soldering iron, then later I bought a temp controlled soldering station. If a 30W iron was not hot enough, you weren't doing it right.

Reply to
James Sweet

Maybe the tip has become FUBAR and you can't solder with them anymore.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

I used a cheap iron for years, yeah the Edsyn I have now is nicer, but if the cheap iron is not doing the job then something is being done wrong. Basic soldering can be done successfully with virtually any soldering iron or gun.

Reply to
James Sweet

Always keep your tip well tinned.

les...

Reply to
Les Matthew

There would be no point in a soldering iron that can't solder two thin wires so it must be faulty? A good 15 watt iron is more than adequate for most electronics.

Damage can be caused by the time taken to solder so the actual heat of the iron isn't the only cause. You should remove the iron as soon as the solder flows properly. Practice on scrap components.

Like all tools it's worth getting something decent as that should last a long time. And there are plenty of reasonably priced ones out there these days. A thermostatically controlled one is always a good idea. Then it will have enough power for larger jobs without getting too hot when left for a while.

--
*Vegetarians taste great*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I often have that problem with my soldering irons. It's always a loose or dirty tip. :-)

The only soldering iron I have ever owned I would say was defective in design was a Black and Decker cordless iron I bought around 1976. No matter what I was doing, it always ran out of "juice" with one joint left to solder. :-(

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

Perhaps its also technique. I bought a RS dual wattage iron for a remote project, worked fine for $11. I do like my 80 watt controlled iron as well as my 250 watt RS gun for the big jobs. Used to use the Ungar unregulated irons with about 45 watts, does most jobs. I've made dual heat irons using a diode, as well as using a lamp dimmer for control. You don't need expensive items.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Thanks for the responses guys... sorry, I was too down with the stomach flu last week to get back here. I suspect the iron, but I'll devise to tests to see if it's fluky.

Dallas

Reply to
Dallas

Just spend a few bucks and get a new iron, last time I bought one a 40W from Radio Shack was under 10 bucks. If you plan on doing any serious work, pick up a temperature controlled soldering station with a wedge tip, it's what I used for most of my work.

Reply to
James Sweet