Soldering iron cord

Has anyone found a bulk source for the silicone rubber cord used for soldering stations? I need a new one for my weller EC1201. Weller wants over $30 for the cord which is almost half as much as the entire iron. I hate to throw out a perfectly good iron because of a wire. It needs to be highly flexible and burn resistant with 5 conductors. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Do you know the part number of this cable? I don't care what color it is as long as it functions properly. Is it a 5 conductor cable?

The only thing I can think of is to buy a Monster cable and cut it up. Their cables tend to be nice and fixable like the original Weller cable. I'm thinking a USB, or network cable would have enough conductors and be able the right size. They're over priced, but cost a lot less than the original Weller part.

Thanks for the tip on the heater connector equivalent.

Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Andy, I've seen ultra flexible 5 pin DIN audio patch leads, which may be made out of silicone cable, I'm not sure. I don't know if they're remotely suitable but it might be worth keeping an eye open as they can be bought quite cheaply. The conductors look like they should be able to handle a couple of amps.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

I have a spare cord that I could repair yours - but traveling until later in October.

g.beat w9gb _at_ arrl.net (reflector)

Reply to
gb