Mains filter for small linear power supply

I have a 8W linear power supply that I wish to protect against mains- borne interference. The linear power supply is powering up a board containing a simple measuring circuit and some CMOS 4000 series gates which are switching at very, very low frequencies (fastest speed is

0.1Hz). The tracks are all 1mm wide and no longer than 5cm.

Would simply fitting a filter like this Schaffner FN332Z-3/05 be adequate to protect against r.f. and transients on the mains?...

Would it make it worse!!!?

I realise that there are many ifs and buts within this question but I just wanted to get the ball rolling.

Reply to
Alan Slough

EMI control is seldom as simple as retro-fitting a filter, but I don't suppose it will hurt.

It's often something other than the power supply interacting with the grounding...

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

It would make it better, the B type is better on the data sheet.

Best is to just try it, with and without, see if there is interference.

( I left a lot of stuff out here, but you may not need any of it)

Reply to
apda

It wouldn't make it worse, but it may not protect against RF. Its not always safe to say that the filter will work well in either direction. Filtering the low voltage side from RF may be easier than the mains.

As for transient, if you need protection from lightning then GDT's should be used. But for most 3rd branch circuits MOV 's could be used if a lightning strike taking down the equipment is acceptable.

And a fuse between the filter and mains is a good thing.

Martin Riddle

These filters are really common surplus items. I wouldn't expect miracles. I think the reply that suggested filtering the DC was spot on.

For yucks, I took one of these off the shelf filters and put it in series with the DC/DC for my notebook computer. I was trying to reduce the hash radiated by the car wiring due to the DC/DC pulses. It made the noise much worse. I guess it was resonant and the pings from the DC/Dc excited the resonance.

Reply to
miso

"Alan Slough"

** So there is an iron transformer, rectifiers and filter caps - right ?

How do you imagine RF signals and voltage spikes will get through them and your regulator ??

** Such filters are intended to reduce EMI going in the opposite direction.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Phil is right on. If there really is a problem with mains interference you usually take a transformer with an additional shield between primary and secondary. The filter probably won't make much difference tho. ciao Ban

Reply to
Ban

?

n.

Thanks to everyone for your replies, which are very much appreciated.

You are correct with regards to the components. On the primary side there is a fuse followed by a MOV which is in parallel with the primary winding. The secondary output is bridge rectified and I am using 1uF tants and 1000uF electrolytics to smooth the input to the voltage regulator. There is another tant across the regulator output.

Having looked at EN 61000, I'm not so concerned about electrostatic immunity and radiated EM energy immunity. It is the fast transient burst testing that I'm worried about and what steps I can take to mitigate this.

Presumably, all linear power supply manufacturers have a standard solution to this. Love to know what it is!

Reply to
Alan Slough

"Alan Slough" "Phil Allison"

You are correct with regards to the components. On the primary side there is a fuse followed by a MOV which is in parallel with the primary winding. The secondary output is bridge rectified and I am using 1uF tants and 1000uF electrolytics to smooth the input to the voltage regulator. There is another tant across the regulator output.

Having looked at EN 61000, I'm not so concerned about electrostatic immunity and radiated EM energy immunity. It is the fast transient burst testing that I'm worried about and what steps I can take to mitigate this.

** So your MOV, transformer and filter caps will have no effect ??

What universe do you inhabit ??

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Those Tantals are calling for trouble.

What exactly do you want to protect? The transformer is not so vulnerable to fast transients, it can momentarily digest quite an overload. A continuous input voltage on the upper limit OTOH can be bad, if there isn't enough margin. It will heat up and eventually self destruct. A PTC in series with the primary might be a good idea. ciao Ban

Reply to
Ban

Isn't the transformer subject to insulation breakdown if the transient is high enough voltage? It's been my experience that when something breaks down, it is instantaneous. It's not like getting some device overheat a bit, i.e. if the event doesn't last long, the part can take the stress. With a break down, it's like flipping a switch.

Reply to
miso

But he has put a MOV across it. Wouldn't that protect from this fault mechanism.?

Reply to
Ban

Please may I ask why? Is it because they are not so good at high frequency? I have decoupling ceramic disc capacitors between the supply rails local to the ICs.

I guess the AC mains immunity listed in section 4 of this webpage:

Thanks for your suggestions.

Reply to
Alan Slough

If the big electrolytic is not far away from the regulator you don't need anything there. Tantals can't stand the inrush current very well, when you switch on and sometimes explode, Jorg knows how it sounds. The one behind the regulator is needed for stability. Here it is best to take what recommends the data sheet, usually some ceramics, sometimes in series with a small resistor even (for LDOs)

With a transformer it shouldn't be too difficult to meet the specs.

ciao Ban

Reply to
Ban