Soldering Iron

Can someone tell me if this a good deal and of reasonable quality for a hobbiest?

Chris W

Gift Giving Made Easy
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris W

oops that page didn't give the price. It is $65

Here is the page with the price

Chris W

Gift Giving Made Easy
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris W

Hi Chris, Since you are asking, the unit you link has specs more than suitable for what you need. They make a comparison to a Weller, for a few bucks more you can have a Weller. In my opinion I would buy the Weller. Something like this one:

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

I haven't used one of those, but I recently bought one of these:

and it appears to work very well. I especially like that I can get parts for it at reasonable prices.

Reply to
John Popelish

any approval?? don't see it in the spec sheet. rw

Reply to
Ryan weihl

I have a very similar iron and would recommend it to anyone. There are two variants over here (UK), one with a straight digital temperature readout and the other with a LED bar-graph. Spares are easy to come by and I haven't had to replace a tip in several years of use. Throw away the sponge though and get some form of brass turnings tip cleaner and/or one of those tinning pots made by Multicore.

Treat yourself. Hobbyist need good tools just the same as the professionals. I ran a large maintenance organisation for many years and if I could have thrown those crappy 'Curie Point' switch Wellers out of the window I would have done so but the military supply chain had standardised on them.

Cheers - Joe

Reply to
Joe McElvenney

Chris,

While the price is attractive and it might be a great deal, there are a few things that bother me about the specs.

  1. No approvals listed.
  2. No ESD (maximum tip voltage to ground) spec.
  3. No temperature stability spec.
  4. They don't know much about soldering iron care if they think you should use emery cloth and alcohol to clean the tips.

I've used Weller/Ungar stuff in the past, but now I would go with a Hakko soldering station. You would pay a bit more ($90 or so) for a 936-12 ESD safe station but you definitely know what you are getting. It doesn't have the direct temperature readout, but you don't really need that for hobby work. Specs for 936-12 are at

James T. White
Reply to
James T. White

you should take a look at this

www.noullogan.home.ro/logan/index.htm

it is awesome

Reply to
noullogan

Thanks for the suggestion. That sounds like a better solder station than the one I was looking at and I found it for under $80. Not a bad deal so I added it to my wish list. Hopefully I will get it for Christmas if I don't decided to buy it for myself sooner :)

Chris W

Gift Giving Made Easy
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris W

This model is available through Marlin P. Jones as stock # 15845-TL for $46.95.

John

Reply to
John - KD5YI