Solar panel efficency

--
Ah.

Then, you're advocating placing an array indoors and insolating it
through a window by opening the curtains?
Reply to
John Fields

But he only asked about maximum solar panel efficiency with cost no object that does not include either a charge controller or batteries - which is pretty funny for someone on a wet string internet connection.

A half decent solar panel comes out at around $800 /m^2 plus installation and unless you are getting some special "green" generation rate is hopelessly uneconomic. German market is distorted this way. Even off grid it is pretty marginal and there are cheaper ways of generating modest amounts of power. The only advantage I can see for PV is no moving parts and unattended operation.

The economics may be different when we can screen or inkjet print PV arrays from organic dyes at modest efficiency and plausible stability in bright sunlight. So far that remains a pipe dream

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

And then running an electric light (LED of course) off it.

Yes.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I suppose the OP can legitimately observe that the question he asked is capable of an answer.

But, yes, it was a very strange question.

Even more so if you pay the proper market price for the using the grid as a supplier of last resort.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

It might almost sort-of make sense if you wanted some particular color of light exclusively.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Thats when you are supposed to go to bed and sleep. It is nicely arranged so the world is dark at bed time.

Reply to
MooseFET

um

hin

of

ent?

I assume you are referring to the desiccant cycle coolers. They can be made to require no electrical input at all assuming you have water pressure. The small amount of water needed is enough to rotate the desiccant cartridge. You just need a small water powered motor to turn it and work the fan. The heat exchanger doesn't have to have moving parts.

Reply to
MooseFET

in

nt?

A 1KW engine may be a better design. A 1 meter square system could be mass produced and then installed in as many increments as needed.

Reply to
MooseFET

Food in to energy out is not very good on a human. Back when I rode my bike a lot, I needed about twice the food intake if I was riding the bike on that day. Chances are I was making under 1KWH of energy in a day.

Reply to
MooseFET

Here's something that may help

Martin Riddle

Visible-light-band VFD, with 10% efficiency?

Although considering the input is generally white, it would be more like a thermal powered VFD.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Strange, at my bed time it's 5:00am.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Yeah, I seem to have a similar problem! Perhaps I just need to relocate half a dozen timezones further west?? :<

Reply to
D Yuniskis

I figured 5KW would be best bang for the buck as it would allow cooling load to be offset 1:1. I wonder just what the magnitude of that load is for a region like the desert southwest? (I should go hunt it down) How many nukes to run our ACbrrrs??

Reply to
D Yuniskis

(...)

If you were in the market for a generator set for an off grid home, would you place any importance at all on the entire life cycle of that device? Do manufacturers even make that information available?

Do you actually care what proportion of the energy used in production of the aluminum castings was renewable? If manufacturer "A" accepts old generators back for recycling and manufacturer "B" didn't but produced a more efficient generator, would you even consider an "A" generator over a "B" generator, all else being equal?

Would you really decide against a generator only because it is stolen at a slightly higher rate than it's competitors in the market?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Great, if you can do it. I went to bed at 11:00 pm last night I woke up at 1:30 and couldn't get back to sleep till 8:00 am. I woke up a few minutes till 3:00 pm. My VA 'doctor' refuses to give me anything to help me restore my sleep cycle. Instead, he told me to use an over the counter cough medicine that requires a signature. Buy more than a couple bottles a year, and you go to jail.

When he asked if I was in any pain I told him yes, and that it was aggravating the sleep problems. He told me he wouldn't prescribe anything, 'since you are already on a high dosage of Gabapentin. Gabapentin only helps with pain from Diabetic Neuropathy, not back and shoulder pain.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Michael, have you been tested in a good sleep lab? You might have some other problems such as apnea or restless leg syndrome that are preventing you getting a good night's sleep, and they'll only aggravate other problems (up to and including triggering a heart attack or stroke). It's well worth doing IMHO, though uncomfortable being wired up to all the instrumentation.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I didn't find the instrumentation all that uncomfortable. The bed, OTOH, was enough to make a camel sway-back. It *had* to have been designed to prevent sleep.

Reply to
krw

I would have to get the VA to approve the test first. I have no other medical coverage. This is very difficult when the VA doctors won't listen to what you tell them.

I started having trouble taking a piss. It is a very weak stream. Instead of prescribing medicine to take care of it, the idiot 'doctor' told me not to drink so much water. So, I wake up quite often to go to the bathroom. Then I can't get back to sleep most nights. I rarely sleep over two hours at a time.

As far as 'restless leg syndrome', I have to sleep with my feet elevated above my head because of the swelling. The HCTZ helps a little, but I need eight to ten hours of having them elevated every day. If I move very much, I wake up. There is no room to toss & turn in an old hospital bed. I am working to modify a ceiling mount for a monitor & keyboard to invert it and bolt it to the back side of the hospital bed so I can do more than just lay there. I am making a smaller version to hold a 10" LCD TV and a 7" DVD player, as well.

The swelling is a catch 22. When they are swollen, I can almost walk without the cane. When the swelling is down, I have trouble even standing.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Maybe their thought is, "If you can sleep here, you can sleep anywhere?"