Solar panel efficency

you will know when solar PV have "made it" (become economical) when you see the factory that makes them, has them on the roof and doesn't use much power from the grid..

Mark

Reply to
Mark

That is an excessive requirement. It becomes worthwhile when the total energy payback on solar is 10-100x that of manufacture. At the moment it is around 6-8x for PV and rising so there is hope for it yet.

OTOH at my latitude where the sun barely makes 12 degrees above the horizon at midday in mid winter PV is pretty useless. The PV powered "warning bend - skid hazard" roadsigns tend to die a horrible death every winter if they are not totalled first by some speeding nutter.

Kind of sad really - they work brilliantly all summer when there is no frost and lots of sunshine and as soon as winter comes they run out of battery power about an hour after sundown even on sunny days.

Regard, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

They should put little wind motors (generators) on them too then.

Reply to
BlindBaby

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:07:57 -0700, BlindBaby wibbled:

They do round here (southern England). PV + a little windmill to light up a sign that I have never seen lit in the 100's of times I have passed it. Could probably have stuck some lithium batteries in it and still have it good for 5 years!

--
Tim Watts

Tim Watts

Can we use them to sop up the oil then?

Reply to
BlindBaby

Those fools in Brussels should have never shut down their Energizer Bunny breeding farm...

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 18:14:50 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell" wibbled:

One got mixi, so Farmer Rumpey had the lot shot ;->

--
Tim Watts

Tim Watts

Idiot. There is only one Energizer Bunny.

Reply to
BlindBaby

He should have had that lead free solder bunch shot, too. Rabies makes people go insane.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

lue

om

And there are also slightly broken, chipped solar cells for sale on ebay or

for about 73 cents a cell (about 1/2 watt each) or maybe $1.45 a watt if you buy 100. They all work 95%, just have small chips on the corners and sides. Each cell is about 1.2 amps at 400mV optimum load.

-Bill

.com/onetribe- Occult Talk Show

Reply to
Bill Bowden

Best use of politicians i have heard of for a long time. Sounds even more useful than deep frying them.

Reply to
JosephKK

Then, we could use them to surround the new Devil's Island we build to put the ones that survive the sopping around to keep the prisoners locked in.

Reply to
BlindBaby

ou

You've omitted "Doesn't absorb taxpayer dollars."

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise on Google groups

Total average shipping loses are under seven percent. And not currently that big a deal.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

The numbers are rather scary.

-- Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss:

email: snipped-for-privacy@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Don Lancaster

The fastest way to drop the price is to eliminate the subsidies.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

nanosolar claim an energy payback time of 1 month

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

There are some real PV bargains around for engineers who are into DIY solar.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Not if it is economy of scale where the bulk of price dropping lies. I doubt whether PV manufacture exceeds (in area) the manufacture of LCD screens.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

A company listed at some reputable stock exchange must be very careful about the wording of press releases.

A company not listed can claim practically anything.

Reply to
Paul Keinanen