Solar panel efficency

I do not own a cell phone, a car, or an iPUD. No tattoos and no piercings, no bent perceptions.

Humans are typically clic-edy-doo-da, follow-the-flock idiots. And that goes for damned near every last goddamned one of you.

I am atypical. I too am damned. One of my differences is that I know that fact.

Where have all the statesmen gone?

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

So you're afraid of the "West" following the Chinese into space? We should be leading them into the abyss?

Reply to
krw

IOW, only if you have to pay for it. Exactly.

Reply to
krw

Will Vegas still be there in 2050?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Looks like there might be. According to Yahoo finance, Las Vegas Sands corp. (LVS) is up about 150% over the past year. Why should this stock be so high?

-Bill

"The Journey is the reward"

eff.com

Reply to
Bill Bowden

Eg.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Ha. Ever been to Macau? Chinese love to gamble.

2009 domestic income tax -$5.7 million (that's right, negative) foreign income tax +$519 million.

I'm guessing you're looking primarily at a bet on the Chinese economy!

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

The billboards along I80, going past the indian gaming sites in California, headed towards Nevada, increasingly show glowing, enraptured asian faces "winning big." Just a few blocks from here, on Saturday mornings, about a hundred Chinese folk gather on the sidewalk, waiting for the chartered bus to Reno.

I've heard the serious claim it's genetic.

Can't stand to gamble myself.

John

Yes, I think you're right. There are a few articles about LVS working the asian markets with the "Las Vegas" name.

(Busine= ss+RSS)

"Its name and headquarters may shout Las Vegas. But for gaming giant Las Vegas Sands Corp. (LVS), Asia is its biggest and most profitable market by far."

I know a Chinese gal that runs a breakfast-lunch place and works hard

6 days a week. But she doesn't trust the US stock market and only invests in Chinese stocks, and keeps losing money. She doesn't gamble, just buys stocks her relatives suggest, and keeps thinking Chinese stocks will pay off someday.

I get breakfast of one egg, three strips of bacon, two slices of toast and coffee for $2.50, and no tax.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

It is less than convincing to point at your own blog posts with a hidden URL disguised on a pseudo guru site. Your numbers do not stack up. You keep on harping on about it being a waste of gasoline - but it isn't. The net energy gain from solar PV at low latitudes is real 6-7x. Though solar hot water heating is a lot more cost effective.

Solar PV might be a waste of money in that the total capital cost can never be exceeded by the value of the electricity generated but that is a different thing entirely. The economics is improving as thinner and thinner films are made to work and mass produced kit enters the market.

Early adopters always end up paying over the odds and to kick start the market it makes sense for some subsidies for renewables to help wean people off their standard assumption of dirt cheap gas forever.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

No, it definitely is not. The "things" are one in the same.

Utilities often contractually equate present kilowatt hours with present dimes.

The two are often thus fungible and interchangeable.

Money IS energy. Spending money IS spending gasoline.

Many thanks,

Don Lancaster