Re: Solar Panel question

> >RHRRC wrote: >> I am looking for information about small solar panels for a new >> equipment design. The size will be sub 1W. > >You don't say for what voltage, or minimum current in ambient indoor >lighting. A fair number of small cheap ones are for calculators. > >> I keep googling for info but half of the internet seems to be taken up >> with Solar Panel ads for large panels that, together with a suitable >> 12 1Ah battery and inverter, can be used to power most of southern >> Europe through this coming winter. >> >> Where can I find some useful information about the performance of >> available small solar panels - or a suitable panel manufacturers >> website. > >Farnell stock a few of the smaller ones and that will give you some >brand names to help find others. Same for RS > >
> >> I am quite conversant with insolation determination. >> >> Thanks > >You could also try surplus stores for bankrupt stock ex solar fountains >and other failed gizmos that don't sell well. > >Regards, >Martin Brown >** Posted from
**

There is a surplus house I have used in the US. They have a few listed. I don't know if they ship to the UK

Nitro

"Nitro" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com:

Is there a difference between a small Solar Panel, and an Encapsulated Solar Cell...? I'm looking for 10 Watts (either 9 V, or 2 X 4.5V), and have found both Panels and Excapsulated Cells, but I don't know the difference between the two.

I want to fit it onto a surface that will be 6.5" square, so I'm sure that is large enough, but don't know the difference(s) between the two solar part types.

TIA for info!

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

When You find a panel that small that delivers that much energy, let me know. I also would love to experiment with small area high output cells.

I currently have 4 RV panels that does an impressive job even with the lack of light we have here compared to other locations.

"

Reply to
Jamie

snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com:

.

w listed.

), and

I seriously doubt you will find a 10W panel to fit such a small physical space. The BP SX-10 model measures almost 11" x 16", for example.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

mpm wrote in news:324a92a8-17c4-4442-a2a5-5c2cb9369ac2 @i76g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

I'm probably remembering something wrong, then...

But I'm still wondering what the difference is between a Solar Panel and an encapsulated Solar Cell.

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

A solar panel is an array of solar cells.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

mpm wrote in news:324a92a8-17c4-4442-a2a5-5c2cb9369ac2 @i76g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

OK, I have to recheck then - I prob read some of the info wrong.

Meanwhile, thanks for the link -

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Just smaller panels in a frame set that electrically connection them together with a protective package around them, transparent normally with a single pair of wires for the DC output.

"

Reply to
Jamie

Jamie wrote in news:1IEwk.36476$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe03.iad:

[snip]

Oh, OK!

Thanks! -

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

--
At 10% efficiency, you\'ll get about 100 watts out of a square meter of
PV, so a square 6.5" on a side will only get you 2.73 watts.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

John Fields wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks for the info, I obviously need to look more closely at all of this...

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Jamie wrote in news:_vzwk.41295$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe08.iad:

I know of some panels like that

A panel that produces average efficiencies of 26.5%,

Ultra Triple Junction that produces efficiencies of 28.3%

AND - XJT produces 29.9% efficiency

I believe you would get close to 8W with the Ultra Triple Junction. And yes you can purchase from them.

Luke

Reply to
Skywalker