SN754410 vs. L293

Got handed a schematic a couple of days ago with the SN754410, which TI bills as "an improved version of the L293".

One of the outstanding* features of the L293 is that it is dog slow. The SN754410, on the other hand, has delay times that indicate that it could be operated in the tens of kHz, with pulse times down to one or two microseconds.

Am I reading that data sheet right? Or do I have my head up my assumptions? This is for a motor control circuit that would work a lot better if we could PWM it fast enough for the motor to do smoothing, and that calls for a PWM rate that approaches 100kHz. It's for a really little motor, so having some super-zoot circuit with gate drivers and a bunch of discrete transistors would be kinda overkill -- and I'm really supposed to just be the control guy.

  • I didn't say outstandingly good.
--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

While I'm asking, is there any monolithic H-bridge driver that doesn't have the gawdawful voltage drop that these things do?

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

L6201 ?, datasheet says 0.3V at 1A

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

For really little, maybe the FAN8200 with 0.4 V at 400 mA (did I mention it's for really little motors?). Built-in clamp diodes, which is nice, but the datasheet doesn't mention times or frequency at all.

Hmmm... seems to have fallen off of Fairchild's line card. Ugh. The Sanyo LB1836M may be a viable replacement.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

sn754410, hmm, 9001 in stock at DigiKey, $1.09 qty 1k. Pretty old, developed circa 1986, but still ticking...

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Better, it's resistive where the SN754410 is four diode drops.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

"Tim Wescott" kirjoitti viestissä:sZmdneJzupLse5rRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@web-ster.com...

If it is really little motor, then have you considered driving it with mcu IO-pins directly?

-ek