skiing terminology

YARD SALE: when you crash so hard that your skis, poles, sunglasses, hat, cell phone, wallet, and body are scattered all over the hill.

John

who did a couple recently.

Did anyone happen to snap a photo for our amusement? :->

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Cell phone??!! Dude, lighten up. You're SKIING, fer &#*! sake!

Anybody remember the stand-up comedian, Gallagher? (Probably best known for his "Sledge-o-matic" routine, wherein he smashed various vegetables with a huge wooden sledgehammer, spraying the audience.) He did a routine about how couples' lives change when the baby comes along, illustrating the point by attaching a diapered bowling ball to his leg with a chain and saying, forlornly, "Thanks but we can't go with you. We have.. KA-BANG!(tosses bowling ball onto the stage) ... a baby." Today he might substitute cell phone for baby and get just as big a laugh.

--
Michael
(who doesn\'t, didn\'t, and never would own a cell phone.)

I hear you're really good at skiing "around" trees, but moguls trip you up.

supine skier

O | +--|--+ | / \\ / \\

Reply to
gearhead
[snip]

So that's why you're so out-of-touch ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | With all this hope and change, all you need is a dab of mayonaisse and you'll have a tasty lunch on which you will choke to death.

And when I get separated from the group, accidentally or on purpose, I can call them and decide which bar we should meet up at.

My cell phone works in POTS mode - no voicemail, no text messages, no nothing - and only friends and family know my number.

I resisted, but Mo and The Brat got me one anyhow. It's really handy for rondez-vouing with people and for when you're on the road, or lost in an enormous Wal-Mart. There aren't many pay phones left, especially ones that work.

John

Careful, John, sooner or later someone will ask, "What bars are there around here?" or "When are the movies?" and you'll find yourself whipping out your phone to do a bit of Internet browsing to answer the question...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

And his plain old "POTS" cell phone probably has a camera.

I wish I could ge a full-featured one, like my LG "V", but with no camera.

...Jim Thompson

With all this hope and change, all you need is a dab of mayonaisse
and you\'ll have a tasty lunch on which you will choke to death.

There is an old joke about an elderly man that finally got a phone installed at his home. He had guests one and the phone rang, he ignored it, an hour later the phone rang again, he ignored it. Later in the evening the phone rang and he ignored it, finally one of the guests ask why he didn't answer the phone. He explained "I put that phone in for my convenience not other peoples." Mike

Reply to
amdx

Duck tape over the lens?

I found my Tracfone to be the least expensive for minimal use, at about $8/month. I bought a new one (with camera) for $50 when I thought I lost my old one. Both are Motorola, which seem to be sensitive enough to get a good signal in my area where many people have had problems. It's *not* the network. It's the phone...

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

Nope. VirginMobile, about five bucks a month. Got one here. And the airtime rolls over for years and years.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Be careful. My insurance agent almost died like Sonny Bono, hit a tree, hard.

But you won't meet up at the bar when the cell phone shows no bars :-)))

SCNR.

Same here.

We use family radio sets when in stores (wife in clothes store, me in the hardware store). Much faster than dialing. Press button -> talk.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I don't think military installations will accept that "duck" tape neuters the camera. Maybe if I break the lens ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

With all this hope and change, all you need is a dab of mayonaisse
and you\'ll have a tasty lunch on which you will choke to death.

In article , To-Email- snipped-for-privacy@My-Web-Site.com says...>

One company I visited required that they be permanently and obviously disabled. Most drilled the lens out. At LM all we were required to do is promise not to take pictures. ...pretty much the same as IBM.

Reply to
krw

PagePlus: $2.50 a month

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

But don't their cards expire 120 days after purchase? I found many similar deals but did not like that. My airtime minutes don't expire even if mold sets in ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Right, a $10 (91 minutes+-) "card" is good for 120 days. Then you need to renew. Unused minutes rollover.

I went to VirginMobile & it says "MINUTE PACKS EXPIRE 30 DAYS AFTER PURCHASE". But rollover if you "top up". And "TOP-UP $20 EVERY 90 DAYS (EVEN IF YOU HAVE A BALANCE) TO KEEP YOUR SERVICE ACTIVE". I don't see how that's different from PagePlus.

If your VirginMobile is $5 a month, you must be buying cards regularly. Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy them from PagePlus?

Bob

BTW - I use hardly any minutes, the phone is only used for the occasional touch-base with my wife ("What time are you going to be home?"). So the per-minute cost is pretty much irrelevant to me - it's the per-month that I go by.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I like catching an edge at 30mph and tumbling head over heels when the boot tips pop out of the bindings and dig into the icy cat tracks.

Martin Riddle

No, I use a credit card. Then the 90-day top-up is $15 and that covers everything, keeps the number. No roaming charges across the whole US.

Same here. Per month is what counts, and coverage. I am on the Sprint CDMA network which provide rather nice coverage. It has happened that I handed my simple phone-phone to someone whose high-faluting super-gizmo GSM phone could not get a signal.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.