Sine waves

Hi,

Does sine wave has more than one harmonics at lower and higher frequncies? or whatever the frequency the sine wave has always one fundamental frequency or harmonics. Please accept my apologizes if I am asking the wron question?

John

Reply to
john

No harmonics for a sine wave that has existed and will exist for all eternity at same amplitude and frequency.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar

I don't understand why you are asking the question in the first place.... it is clearly obvious that a pure sinewave has no harmonics!

John

Reply to
johnbscot

A pure sine wave has one harmonic, the first harmonic otherwise known as the fundamental. It has no higher harmonics. However any real sine wave generated with normal electronic oscillators, etc. will never be absolutely pure and will., therfore, have some harmonics as well as non-harmonic noise. For example if a wave is 99.9% pure, it will have noise and harmoncis adding to 0.1%. This level is only 60dB below the fundamental so even that is not very pure by some standards. Sub harmonics below the fundamental in frequency can exist but are usually not present.

Reply to
Bob Eld

"Bob Eld"

** Since this NG (and the question) is about science and electronics and NOT musical terms, the above is incorrect.

Harmonics are frequencies that are integer multiples, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc, of the fundamemetal frequency of a complex wave.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Most engineers pretty much equate "harmonic" with "Fourier component",

0th harmonic = DC term

1st harmonic = fundamental,

etc.

But it's just a convention, so there's no hard right or wrong.

John

I believe you have it backwards. In music the first overtone is the second harmonic which is 2 times the fundamental in frequency. The fundamental in engineering, audio and related fields is the first harmonic even though the word "harmonic" is misleading. As was mentioned, the terminology comes from the Fourier series. Your statement: "Harmonics are frequencies that are integer multiples, 2,

3, 4, 5 etc, of the fundamemetal frequency of a complex wave." That is a true statement but don't forget that "1" is also an integer.
Reply to
Bob Eld

"Bob Eld" "Phil Allison"

** I believe you have your head permanently stuck up your arse.
** Yawn - not even on the point at issue.
** Yawn - just restates the original error.

** Not mentioned by you, me or the OP.

Plus not relevant anyhow.

** How typically asinine & autistic of you.

Cut the verbal diarrhoea.

A pure sine wave is one that simply has NO harmonics present.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

This gets down to mere semantics, but I have to agree, you never really hear people talking about a "first harmonic". They almost always call the main frequency the "fundamental", and only use the term "harmonic" for integer multiples of the fundamental,

2x, 3x, 4x, and higher.

But the kicker here is that people will often use the term "Half-harmonic", to indicate a spur 1/2 the fundamental. When occuring in power amplifiers, these mysterious half-harmonics are thought to be caused by some sort of varactor effect. When they occur in frequency doublers, the failure to suppress and filter the original fundamental is the obvious cause (the

2nd Harmonic essentially becomes the new fundamental).

Slick

Reply to
radio913

** The implied meanings of words an terms is hardly trivial.

It is the way humans communicate.

** Google gives many hits on the term.

Mostly in the musical context.

** A Google search gives that definition exactly, over and over.
** Correct usage depends on the context and the audience.

Long as the aim is to inform and not confound.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Techs like to argue over terminology and definitions, as if they were important. All that really matters is the math.

John

I see that Fillup Asshole has raised his ugly head again with his usual polite crap and name calling. This, of course says more about him than about me or any other poster he denigrates of which there are quite a few. It seems he has little to say that is not an insult or asinine retort rather than a constructive discussion of the subject at hand. It's too bad to waste bandwidth on such a jerk, maybe he should swim with the sting rays down there or at least crawl back under his rock gooday mate!

and

2,
Reply to
Bob Eld

[snip]

If you would simply plonk Fillup Asshole, you would not be bothered.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

In message , dated Sun, 10 Sep 2006, Jim Thompson writes

How dull, though! Besides, if you plonk him, you can't call him Phyllis Alison when he becomes more than usually obnoxious. He doesn't like that.

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

I suppose you've noticed how absolutely humorless Phyllis is. What a way to live!

John

I think I need to get the latest version of Agent. Looks like "Ignore Sub-thread" may allow me to even miss replies by others to Allison, Eeyore, Frank B, Sloman, etc... so they will truly cease to exist ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

In message , dated Sun, 10 Sep 2006, John Larkin writes

He did post a joke once. I suspect his most colourful posts are fuelled by Bundaberg.

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

That's because Phillis wants to be called "She".

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"John Larkin"

** They are very important to communication of ideas.

** How completely autistic.

Bet JL can recite " pi " to hundreds of decimal places.

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Bob Eld"

( snip peurile abuse)

** Another autistic prick bites the dust.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison