Simple pulse stretcher

Hmm, no good deed goes unpunished. ;)

The PD is square law, but it isn't E**2, it's |E**2|, so to be completely safe you have to stay in real-valued functions (sin and cos) and not complex exponentials. (At least at first.)

Assuming that the relative phase of the two beams depends only on time, i.e. that they're both really really single transverse mode, then shining E1(x, y, t) and E2(x, y, t) on a sufficiently large photodiode will get you

i_photo(t) = int(-inf < x < inf) int(-inf < y < inf)[ R|(E1(x,y,t) + E2(x,y,t)|**2]dxdy

= R int int[ |E1|**2 + |E2|**2 + 2 Re{E1 E2*}]dxdy

where R is some constant (R is the responsivity if E**2 has units of watts per square metre, but it doesn't matter here).

With a large enough beat frequency, we can regard E1**2 and E2**2 as DC and filter them out. (Since the negative frequencies are twice as far away as that, we can use the complex exponential notation with no worries.) So at AC, all we get is

i_AC = 2R Re {int int[ E1(x,y,t)E2*(x,y,t)]dxdy }

If both lasers are single transverse mode, this integral is proportional to Re{E1(0,0,t) E2*(0,0,t)}. Since the beat frequency is large, we sample all relative phases of E1 and E2 much more rapidly than their fluctuations, so we pretty much get an honest multiplication. Multiplying them in the time domain is convolving them in the frequency domain, so yes, the frequency variances add, *provided they're computed around the nominal beat frequency*. Of course nobody in his right mind would do anything else, but a computer might. ;)

The only thing that modifies this significantly is the frequency response of the photodiode and the electrical measurement system.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Using the "0.35" rule, 1.865ns equates to 187.7MHz BW.

Not far below 200MHz, which is 1.75ns.

I can think of a few reasons:

Were you using a hi-Z probe, or a 50 ohm (internal or external?) terminated measurement?

Interestingly, a 200MHz scope with a 500MHz probe, theoretically, would show 1.88ns risetime (186MHz BW).

I've seen some commercial BNC through terminations start to get sticky around 200MHz, and be quite useless at 500MHz. An SMA terminator on a tee with adaptors outperforms quite dramatically.

If your scope provides 50 ohm inputs, I'd be inclined to TDR them.

Another point; how does that scope measure risetime? Does it calculate the

10% and 90% from the peak of the overshoot (wrong), or from the flat portion (correct)?
                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Tek scopes used to give you gaussian response and a bit more than the specified bandwidth, not less. It's like Budweiser watering down the beer.

I connected an SD24 TDR head to the scope input through a short hardline. The SD makes a roughly 20 ps, ultra-clean 50-ohm step.

I used a short SMA-SMA hardline and an SMA-BNC adapter. That should be good to several GHz. BNCs are surprisingly good.

Don't know. It does overshoot enough to matter.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

SMP?

JW

he

tion,

of

ity

  • G(0)H''(0) + 2G'H'

--------

          H(0)G(0)
,

ce

red at

the

on

t -

Cool, thanks Phil, (In practice I just quote the laser bandwidth as the beat note bandwidth and ignore the above convolution.) Ahh, what's the line about the PD size "on a sufficiently large photodiode" refer too? (I used this tiny EOT photodiode ET-2030.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

1.8 mm usually.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

If the PD is too small, spatial fringes won't average out to zero, so orthogonality doesn't quite work.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

n,

Okay, thanks, don't think I've run into that kind of general analysis befor e. There is a more thorough rehash here: Circuits, Signals, and Systems, Volume 2 By William McC. Siebert

Chap 16, but they omit the pages getting into the blasted second moments an alysis:

=false

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

There is a more thorough rehash here:

analysis:

Fourier and two-sided Laplace transforms are of course equivalent (requiring only a trivial change of variables). I learned about one-sided Laplace transforms in some undergrad math class, and promptly ditched them because the inverse is such a mess. I don't think I've ever used a one-sided transform in real life.

When I need to worry about the implicit step function due to causality constraints or boundary conditions, I can put that in by hand at the end, instead of carrying it along throughout the calculation, which is a huge pain and completely unnecessary. (I do often use the s notation instead of j 2 pi f, because it saves writing and reduces blunders.)

I'm a big fan of the Bracewell approach, probably partly because he was such an engaging lecturer, but mostly because it's so useful and so easy to remember once you get the hang of it.

Phil Hobbs