Simple pulse stretcher

Very close. Tek always gave the formula: 0.35/BW ; it's based on the semi-mythical gaussian bandpass characteristic. If aberrations are significant, neither can be trusted.

You probably know the formula for estimating risetime when the measurement approaches the instrument limits: tr= sqrt(tmeas^2 - tinstr^2) which of course only works when you already know that the pulses are clean - which you probably can't tell with that scope.

Reply to
Frank Miles

Yup; a "single-channel externally-triggered complementary-output pulse
generator", from Larkin's blurb.
Reply to
John Fields

=

Yes, assuming the probe is not a limitation. But the observed risetime is t he RMS of signal + scope risetimes.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

au=

No I didn't know that. Thanks, I guess mostly I like to have minimal instrumental effects :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

That used to be true. The high-end digital scopes that I've tested lately don't seem to have gaussian response; they seem to be tweaked for bandwidth bragging rights, and subsequently ring.

My "200 MHz" Tek DPO2024 rings a bit and has a rise time of 1.85 ns.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Fie. Analog parts on the digital board.

This should satisfy most captious critics.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

It's actually more general than that--there's a Fourier transform theorem that variances add under convolution, so providing the pulse widths and rise times are defined in terms of the second moments, and there are no loading effects due to cascading the two devices, this formula works exactly.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The low input flushes the delay chain. Cute.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

es

That's pretty, but if the part's fast it might not meet George's min. output pulse needs. An R-C or two would fix that.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

te:

layout using that parts family. It used to be a point of advantage for a l ogic family that it was unresponsive to full logic level transitions of dur ation less than the fastest edge rates in the system. Interwiring capacitiv e coupling into a nice high impedance input converts the transition into a nice square pulse there. I think Lenin covered that one.

Sweet, I think a nice one shot is the right medicine. It looks like I'll stretch it out to ~200ns, not a big deal with 1us bins, the first time bin is ~20% 'short'. We'll document it in the manual and specs,

70% of our users will never notice.

Hey, we should use the 200ns pulse as the monitor output! maybe they'll notice if it's on the 'scope.

I'm not sure why I didn't have a one-shot in to begin with. (there's been some 'vibe' that one shots are bad.(?) It all seems so obvious in retrospect.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It's so crappy, it's almost Larkinesque. The f...ing "specification" was to widen a 5ns sliver. A 5ns sliver won't even produce a sigh out of 74HC stuff. ...Jim Thompson

So design something. Do you remember how?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

:)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

out it.

describes the emitter-coupled monostable. Put one together out of a pair of wide-band tansistors - BFR92 or better - with 33R up against each base, and you can cetainly get below 10nsec. Since the mechanism depends on the change of base-emitter impedance with emitter current, it isn't as easy as it might be to get a wide range of output pulse widths.

Jim Thompson could probably remember a better solution for you. The long-obsolete MC10198 ECL monostable

could just get down to 10nsec, but we used two of them when we wanted to offer long pulses as well - being able to switch in bigger capacitors put too much stray capacitance on the relevant input pin for 10nsec operation.

Something boringly obvious with a constant current ramp and a fast comparator would do the job, but - as with the MC10198, being able to switch in bigger capacitors to generate much longer pulses is probably incompatible with a 10nsec pulse width.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

it.

I want 10 picoseconds, not 10 ns. I already sell boxes that go down to 100 ps pulse width.

I just need another factor of 10.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

that

about it.

&dq...
0 ps

Interesting. If electromagnetic radiation propagates 20cm in 1nsec in ordinary dielectrics, 10psec is 2mm, and it's going to be a bit tricky to provide connections that don't introduce significant impedance discontinuities. Are you planning on designing stuff that surface mounts onto his printed circuit?

Since microstrip is intrinsicly dispersive, strip line might be better, and he'd have to sandwich your contribution.

Clearly a fresh field to conquer, not exactly nano-engineering, but definitely one for the tiny-minded.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

--- Fuck you.

I've posted enough stuff over the last fifteen years or so to have established my reputation as a designer, and I certainly don't have to dance to your tune to prove anything to anyone.

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

Well? Larkin has certainly posted A LOT MORE... no matter that it's just non-functional crap >:-} ...Jim Thompson

I think Larkin is far and away the most copious poster here of
off-topic material.
Reply to
John Fields

Yep. Mostly narcissistic nonsense. He must forever be on stage to satisfy that BU-grade narcissism >:-} ...Jim Thompson