Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cable

Because there are some pretty sharp "cookies" here, I thought I would post a challenge.

I am looking for a camera that does NOT require a smart phone in order to display it's videos/images.

I have a Microsoft Webcam HD 500 and it has a usb connector.

I am thinking I might be able to get a cable extension that is at least 23 feet so I can run it across my ceiling to my window. I would mount the camera inside.

Not sure if there will be a signal loss too great for that distance.

There may be signal boosters?

I have a soldering station, and various electronic components such as resistors, caps, blank circuit boards, etc. if I would require to make the necessary components.

Thanks, Andy

What do you scholars and inventors think?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
AK

onsdag den 7. december 2022 kl. 17.55.53 UTC+1 skrev AK:

USB is max 5meter so you'll need an active extender cable and then you'll like have problems with power unless the extender has it's own supply

much simpler to just buy a camera with ethernet, most come with PoE so you only need the ethernet cable and can keep the supply at the computer ...

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

There are active usb booster cables. I use one for a cam at our cabin, so I can see the snow and vehicles in the driveway. Total run from PC to cam is maybe 35 feet.

Amazon has them. You could also use a USB hub as a booster.

Your thing may just work without a booster.

That's a cheapish cam, outside, and the colors get a little strange when it's very cold. Good enough, I guess.

A USB isolator will serve as a booster - more expensive ones without an external supply.

I've only used them in the middle of a 24' low data rate connection.

RL

Reply to
legg

I have a smart phone.

I want to be able to view and possibly record video on my desktop.

Reply to
AK

You get the gold star for your ideas.

I found this, but I am not sure if this is what I need.

I have a usb 3.0 port on the front of my desktop and one in the back.

My plan would be to run the cable across the ceiling to the front window.

I do not care how "tacky" it looks. :-)

I would aim the webcam from inside and avoid issues of weather, even though I have a covered porch.

Andy

Reply to
AK

I did not think I was discounting anything.

I have only a single computer.

Andy

Reply to
AK

On a sunny day (Wed, 7 Dec 2022 08:55:48 -0800 (PST)) it happened AK snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I have several Sony Super HAD cameras in use that have analog out,

20 m 75 ohm cable or just simple cinch audio cable will work.

To view the cams I use a cheap 4 input Chinese security recorder that also had HDMI out and an Ethernet port connected to the LAN A Raspberry Pi connected to the LAN records everything to a harddisk.

But I also have a cheap analog to USB converter stick, mind you if you buy one of those go for the high resolution.

Also here several webcams with ethernet, those are as cheap as 25$ these days and can be remotely controlled, have sound, and IR lights so can see in the dark, Those come with software, will work on any Linux system too. google 'Ethernet webcam'

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I would be interested in the links to those products.

Andy

Reply to
AK

On a sunny day (Wed, 7 Dec 2022 23:20:10 -0800 (PST)) it happened AK snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Much of the stuff I have comes from ebay, some from Aliexpres ebay has a search window:

can search for security recorder sony suoerHAD etc too

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

cables with boosters are readily available off the shelf.

Reply to
Jasen Betts