Looking for a way of turning a cable/tv signal/picture 90 degrees?

Looking for a way of turning a cable/tv signal/picture 90 degrees?

I have 3 large tv turned on it side to make one large display. I am running a live signal through it and want to figure a way to turn the signal 90 degrees so it is showing upright. The software (MagicImagePro from Samsung) is woefully lacking documentation and functionality when it comes to doing this so I am thinking there is a box or a way to do this before it reaches the TV through the cable. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

Reply to
daviddschool

David, Look around for video wall technology. You might find something there.

What you want to do is not trivial. Basically, you first receive the signal and store a frame of video. You then need to break this frame into three pieces, and do the rotation, and then output the three separate video streams to the displays. It is not that hard, but it is a somewaht niche application, so I don't hold out a lot of hope for you...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

It only needs to go to one of the TV as it stands. We are showing three different things on three of the screens. I thought there might be a switch box or something that would do it with a live signal.

Reply to
daviddschool

Ok, now you are confusing me...

You have three different sources going to three different TVs, but you have turned them sideways, and want to rotate the image? You need to correct for the different sizes of the images, so I would just change the sources to dispaly the image sideways, and make the other aspect ratio changes there.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Sorry, here is the deal. Only one of the TV is going to take in the signal from the tV. The others, as I said, have still images and other things on them. Just the one TV has the TV signal. When the signal from the cable goes to only TV getting the signal, the image needs to be turned 90 to correct for the TV being turned on its side. In other words, the tv signal needs to be in PORTRAIT mode, rather then LANDSCAPE once the TV is turned. I have tried all of the settings on the TV and MagicPro software and nothing gives a way to turn the cable signal 90 degrees to Portrait mode.

Reply to
daviddschool

Yes, I understand. It doesn't work that way. The picture is designed to be seen the other way around. If you rotate it, you get a small picture in the middle of the screen, with two big black areas top and bottom...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Yes, that is fine. We don't mind that. We just want to get rid of the sideways picture, it doesn't matter about the bars at the top and bottom.

Reply to
daviddschool

If only one channel, and if it is real time, then the simplest way without spendfing big $$$$, is to get a small video camera or digital camera with composite output, take a shot of a real receiver / monitor with that camera on its side, and feed the composite output to your monitor. Quality can be reasonable if you get the settings right, I have filmed from a TV screen :-)

Reply to
panteltje

Could you just turn the yoke?

Reply to
Greegor

Only if it's a picture tube type set.

The yoke's on you if it's a flat-screen ;-)

...Jim Thompson

This looks to be a little more complicated then I thought. I don't really know what to do since the video feed is real time. I am guessing maybe by-pass through a computer and turn it somehow digitally?

Reply to
daviddschool

On a sunny day (Wed, 27 May 2009 15:12:52 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Greegor wrote in :

Not on a color set.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Lay down on your side.

Reply to
Richard Cranium

Find a Video Jockey (VJ) type that does raves, what you need is trivial for them, they have the software, much of it freeware, but you may need 3 processors to make the signal processing lags even.

Steve

Reply to
osr

maybe:

a7yvm109gf5d1

G > Could you just turn the yoke?

JT > Only if it's a picture tube type set. JT >

JT > The yoke's on you if it's a flat-screen ;-)

LOL

That's a joke that waited for the technological change.

For awhile weren't some CRT TV's and monitors called flat screen because the glass faceplate was flat?

Reply to
Greegor

G > Could you just turn the yoke?

JP > Not on a color set.

I'll bite. WHY NOT?

Reply to
Greegor

The very monitor I'm using right now is a Trinitron. One of the best monitors ever.

I also have a "Super Flat F100" TV (25", only a little bigger than this monitor!), but I'm not sure of its construction.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

On a sunny day (Thu, 28 May 2009 22:12:45 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Greegor wrote in :

There are basically 2 kind of color toobes. There are 3 electron guns, one for red, green, and blue. In most toobes these are arranged like this: o

o o

in others in-line like this:

0 0 0

The beams go through a plate with holes (the shadow mask) to land on the corresponding phosphors for their colors on the screen. To make the story very short, to get that beam landing right, correction coils are placed on the CRT to dynamically correct the deflection so the beams land correctly. Now imagine turning the triangle gun assembly relative to the yoke, and remember the correction coils are normally fixed to the joke... correction gone, large convergence errors. Same and even worse perhaps for the in-line configuration. Because those corrections and the deflection need to be very precise, on many modern (or should I say the old ...) CRTs the joke is computer calculated and glued to the tube. In such a case turning it would not be possible at all. If you want more info look up the color CRT tube in wikipedia.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

There actually were some fairly successful attempts at "flattened" CRT's, with the neck bent around into the plane of the faceplate. But a nightmare to align.

...Jim Thompson