Using a TOSLINK cable to extend remote

Can I use a 6 foot TOSLINK cable to make a simple IR remote extension?

I'm not looking for an application like something that would work for components hidden in a cabinet.

I'm looking to control a camcorder up on a pole. I want to put one end of the cable up to the remote and have the signal come out the other end which will be right up against the camera.

thanks

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

I'll bet it will work if you can figure out a way to couple the remote's led into the fiber. This would be the hard part. If I were going to try it, I would find a female TOSLINK connector and mate it to the remote's led. It may be best to grind the led flat so as to focus more of the power into the connector.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of fiber can describe a good technique to do this.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

I'm thinking why don't I just open up the remote desolder the led and add a wire. That way I can just put the led up next to the receiver.

I also found out I can get another remote for about $14.00 shipped.

"Brendan Gillatt" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Reply to
Cliff Hartle