CE ESD zaps

There's a CE test with some sort of ESD zap gun. On a BNC female, do they zap the center pin?

The CE tests invoke an ISO spec that nobody has. But these specs are written from US Military standards, which can be obtained free.

Typically, one does not zap the center pin, on the assumption that all normal cables are in place, and everything else is capped if it's sensitive. One can specify that a center pin be zapped, but the default is not to test anything but the shell and shield.

I don't have the MIL SPEC at hand, but could find it.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Every CE spec costs hundreds of dollars, and each references about 6 others. They should be free.

Sounds like my center pins are exempt. See page 22:

I called it 'Tutsi Frutsi Ice Cream' from the Marx Bros 'Day at the Races'

The British and Canadian Standards are about the same thing and used to be cheaper.

This book was pretty good.

Williams/dp/0081010168

Reply to
Wanderer

Yes, and those ISO specs are each what would have been a chapter in other standard, and they are always being updated. It's a treadmill.

One consequence is that ISO standards are cited far more often than they are followed.

I would expect that to be true. I'll read it.

The Brits seem to have produced their own summary standard, to outmaneuver ISO.

The MIL SPEC I referenced earlier is MIL-STD-464C or later. Note that this is _not_ MIL-STD-461.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

As I learned in a visit to Oxford England, CE means Can't Enforce.

onsdag den 7. december 2022 kl. 01.22.17 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen