Shuttle over the bridge

The ones who paid the development costs.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Cite, or you are blowing smoke out your ass.

Well known for selling cheap crap. They started as S.S. Kresge Five & Dime. They changed their name to K-Mart in an attempt to modernize, and hide their past.

K-mart sells transistors?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

We have a winner! The development cost was paid because there wasn't a better solution, at any cost.

Reply to
krw

is

How about decent CCD imagers, helped along by NASA in the 1960s?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

According to Wikipedia, CCDs were invented at Bell Labs, and NASA didn't have much to do with their development.

JPL did some early work on CMOS imagers.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Thanks. ;-) Apparently I look like one too. Last weekend I was perched Lee Harvey Oswald-like on the 3rd level of a parking garage overlooking a baseball diamond to take some videos and a guy struck up a conversation (it was homecoming at Cornell, and he was an alumni). I asked his major since he looked like an engineer-- sure 'nuff an EE. Later on, my kid asked who I had been talking to- a friend? because we both looked like engineers. Even more scary, when it was time to go he got into the one car I had been openly admiring before he arrived.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

The pocket protector is a dead give away. ;-)

Reply to
krw

There is value in the schlumpy geeky EE look. It doesn't intimidate customers, encourage panandlers, or attract shallow, scheming women.

There is a class of women who are attracted to semi-unkempt engineer types, and it is a superior class of women.

I have a stylist, Bebe, down the hill, and she's a genius. I have finally convinced her that I want to look innocuous, and she applies all her talent to that end.

(The Brat went to Cornell, and we spent some time up there, mostly cleaning and painting her various lodgings. The campus, and the surrounding countryside, are stunning. The most beautiful room I've ever seen is the Uris Library

)

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

for

is

manned

flight?

Interesting dodge, CCDs have had many applications, such as clock tunable filters. CCD imagers is a somewhat different technology. CMOS imagers are becoming common in video cam and some photographic applications recently, yet again a different topic.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

For yet another, one of the roots of all this, even 'imagery'.

The resistor bolometer for looking at IR temps was invented in 1960. Consider it a single pixel element.

Then, they made arrays so they could track heat source movements from the nose of a missile, to guide it by. Optics and little quad sectored surfaces for the circuit to track the heat signature position from and guide the missile onto it.

Our IR imager, back in '86 was 4 frames per second, and the array was like 640 x 480 and it had to be in an LN2 chilled chamber and was $90k. It was not even able to put out to a VCR. It ran under a $4k 386 too. Back then $4k was a lot of money, let alone $90k.

Now, I can go to that same (but purchased) company, and buy a high resolve IR imager with 30fps (I think) for a couple thousand dollars.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

CCD was originally used as an (analog) shift register. Typical usage was analog delay lines in audio echo units as well as MTI in radars.

Now the question is how the charge is injected into the cells, by photons (light) or electrons (input pins) :-)

In a similar way, a few decades ago, there was an article in Wireless World about removing the lid from a standard 64 kib (IIRC) DRAM, focusing an image on the chip through a lense. This produced a somewhat usable 1 bit B/W image of the object being photographed.

Reply to
upsidedown

Filters? We were discussing imagers. You are wandering off-topic.

CCD imagers is a somewhat different technology. CMOS imagers

Here is a free but poorly formatted PDF:

I had to export it to a text file, then clean it up to read it. The PDF file is a little over a megabyte. The text file is about 200K smaller. i could put it on ABSE if someone wants the text version. It still has some errors, but is readable.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Huh! Must be because you used a freebie PDF program. Looks super sharp to me. ...Jim Thompson

Is this how they formatted book in the 1940s ??

One looooong sentence ??!!

hamilton

Thanks, reading it now. My copy was long ago lost somewhere in the maelstrom (or possibly the femaelstrom).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It isn't formatted into pages, and looks like crap. They could have picked a normal sized font to get more text on each page, as well.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You're welcome. I found it soon after you first mentioned it, but I wasn't happy with the formatting. I've been collecting out of copyright ScI-Fi books, engineering books & Old Time Radio shows.

has months, or years worth of old shows in MP3 format for free download, streaming or to download as a torrent. I've got Buck Rogers, Tom Corbet & Flash Gordon saved & indexed. I'm working through over a decade of 'The Great Gildersleeve' right now. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell