Shuttle over the bridge

Yes, John. Folks died. The world, however, advanced.

You're a goddamned idiot.

You are beyond lost.

Your mother is ugly, and should be in prison, s*****ad.

The world is a casualty of your pathetic existence.

Reply to
FullMettleJacket

I followed with great interest the "Apollo" reality-TV series which was running in the 1968-1972 seasons :-).

Reply to
upsidedown

sel)

ote:

oesel)

Coesel)

d_the_golden_ga...

has spend most

llites) giving

tles where

lacement.

seless.

s that there

th because of

and its

ing to stay

n their

tuff and

tors

it to the

ve stuff

yet

ess

.

o-

ou

y few

out

.

of

ble

It was a primitive, early stimulus package. That lead to better technology--now we can spend money faster.

Of course those are paybacks but a different kind; useful, depending on the eye of the (eric) beholder.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
[...]

Memory foam!

Makes a great mattress.

Reply to
JW

Fabulous, in a small way. But it was developed for airplanes, not for manned spaceflight. A lot of the non-astronaut stuff that NASA does is good. But most of their budget is wasted on dangerous, useless manned stuff.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Do you think that, politically, it would be easier or harder to justify their current budget if they dropped all manned space flight?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Historically, it was the manned stuff that ginned up all the money. The public wants to see sci-fi men in space suits, not pseudocolor pictures of galaxies. NASA couldn't have got its half-trillion-dollar cumulative expendature without manned spaceflight.

The National Science Foundation has spent a fourth of what NASA has. NASA now gets "about 35% of total spending on academic scientific research in the United States." That is insane in too many ways.

If NASA was just doing science, and not sci-fi, there's no way it would get four times as much funding as NSF. Imagine what sorts of health and science breakthroughs we might have had, for the money we spent killing astronauts.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Looking at the NASA situation from the outside, it appears that in order to get any large project done, you need at least half the senators and congressmen behind your project, thus huge projects are needed in order to get as many supporters as possible.

The best way to secure the support is to offer contracts/money to companies in your electoral district, i.e. find a subcontractor within your election district, no matter how bad.

As a result, the Challanger disaster was a result of booster segmentation dictated by the requirement of transporting SRBs across the continent below bridges.

Reply to
upsidedown

And a decision to eliminate asbestos in the joint putty. And management overriding engineers warnings.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Political management.

Reply to
tm

Particular requirements are NO excuse for bad engineering-- anytime, but particuarly when it has the potential to kill people.

They should have found a way to do it safely or pushed back.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Coesel)

spend most

satellites) giving

where

replacement.

there

because of

stay

and

the

stuff

THey had a demand that no one else did, so paid the development costs needed to make Velcro cheaply enough for the rest to use.

Reply to
krw

NASA procurement - We need 25 square yards of "Velcro" - Price $5,234,000.00

K-mart procurement - We need 25 million yards of Velcro. Price $5 a yard

Now who made it cheap enough for the rest of us?

Reply to
tm

...or how many more illegitimate children we could have.

Reply to
krw

You sound like an *engineer*.

Reply to
krw

co

zed_the_golden_ga...

des

den

ke

the

as

lt.

.00

they guy that used the $5,234,000.00 to develop a machine that could make it for $5 a yard?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

The techniques that led to the machine, yes. Teflon's the same deal. It's been around since the flood but was very expensive to make.

Reply to
krw

they guy that used the $5,234,000.00 to develop a machine that could make it for $5 a yard?

-Lasse

No, the $5,234,000.00 stuff was all made by hand.

When K-mart placed the order, the machine was invented.

Same with semiconductors.

Reply to
tm

These days, most illegitimate children are born to parents in stable relationships who haven't bothered to get married - which isn't a problem. Right-wing nitwits want to believe that they are all born to career single mothers who want to increase the amount that they collect from social security, which may happen, but only with people crazy enough to need more psychiatric support than the US health care system is funded to give them.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman