Shenzen

Interesting. I missed that detail. Yeah, that's probably not a good thing.

but it's a reasonable compendium of various arguments about DDT I've read elsewhere.

When I read Silent Spring a long time ago, I recognized that it is propaganda. It can be propaganda and this guy can be a total crank at the same time.

The questions about DDT are more of the "the dosage is the poison" sort. Nobody even really calibrated the estimated exposures.

If they'd known what that was, and they'd have known the potential risk, perhaps they would have.

That's fine, but that is indeed what is being discussed. You realize that this extended to ag products from place in Ireland other than small renters growing potatoes for subsistence, right?

This subject has not changed substantially since Smith wrote "Wealth of Nations".

The lack-of-constraint type.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

And what about the others? They are much smaller doses including a human single dose of just 16 mg/kg or 16 ppm resulting in convulsions. Not so massive!

--

Rick
Reply to

Where do you see that? If you mean Wikipedia, I can't find it. Or are you twisting words to suit you where it says, "In 1945, DDT was made available to farmers as an agricultural insecticide". That doesn't say "The Federal government".

Aren't pesticides regulated? What is your point?

--

Rick
Reply to

It's not all bad. Some equipment I designed almost 20 years ago is still popular in its small niche market, and is still made. Many components are no longer manufactured and occasionally counterfeit parts show up.

I haven't worked for the company for many years, but still have the profitable job of fixing problems caused by counterfeit parts.

I've come across 8 channel DACs where 7 or fewer channels work, static RAMs where about 10% are faulty and precision op-amps where the package is about the only thing that's right.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Could capitalism survive without criminality? Police, banks, glaziers, body shops, hospitals, prisons, locksmiths, security guards, alarm makers to name a few would all find their workload much reduced.

Criminality is an illegal form of resource wasting.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Really. Anti aging products anyone? Pharmaceuticals sold on the back of dud research. PMPO watts. One could sit here all day listing stuff.

It's in our interest to not permit these. It's in China's interest to turn a blind eye. It's that simple.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Nice!, (thanks for sharing) Though different I reminded of this story I heard (on npr, years ago) about how china's economic reform started. (march to capitalism) There was this group of farmers out in the country, They signed this secret agreement, that they would share everything. (Time frame was the mid 70's) Instead after they made their quota, whatever extra they produced they would be able to keep and get the profit. (Don't ask for details... I'm a bit vague) Well after a few years the government noticed that this village (area) always had record harvests. After investigating they decided to embrace the idea, rather than squashing it. And as they say the rest is history.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Oops would *not* share

Reply to
George Herold

I don't understand the silly comparisons--totalitarian societies have those problems only much worse, e.g. the first post in this thread.

Putting *everyone* in cages out of fear of what some might do is a bad model. Obviously not everyone behaves. That's why we have a justice system.

A paranoid government that fears whatever its citizens might possibly do, and seeks to suppress them, also suppresses prosperity and human potential, for nothing. It's totalitarian.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I was pointing out the federal government helped create the problem you said it was needed to solve--birds, DDT, etc.

Lots of governments used it around the world. It wasn't their fault, they just didn't know. We all learned.

It wasn't all bad. DDT eliminated malaria and did lots of good in many places.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Interesting story, thanks George. It's weird to see despotism and free enterprise-type incentives together.

Stuff I've read about ancient China was to the effect that the tiny elite had to be brutal. It was the only way so few could enforce "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain," and maintain their illusion of control over so many.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

if it wasn't for DDT there probably wouldn't be a Panama canal, but you can hardly say malaria was eliminated

back in the day they must have been really sure DDT wasn't dangerous:

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Hah, my google-fu worked... Here's the story.

As you can read the officials don't really like this story.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Here's one version of an old, old story:

Another version is at

and there are many other slight variations Out There on the Net.

The first version I ever read was software-specific (it refers to "the programmers"), but it's an old, old story that long predates computers. Probably as old as civilization. Perhaps older... the problem may have affected the first attempts to build the first real city!

Reply to
Dave Platt

Hard to tell really since the US leads the world in terms of percentage of population incarcerated - well ahead of Russia and South Africa.

It is a great testament to how effective the US prisons for profit movement is at rapidly increasing its market share.

You now appear to have a deranged totalitarian front runner for the Repugnicon nomination. His press release yesterday was interpreted as fake satirical joke in the UK until his office confirmed it as genuine.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

On a sunny day (Tue, 8 Dec 2015 10:56:58 +0000) it happened Martin Brown wrote in :

I am so glad the demonrats have you as expert supporting them, will be a win for the Republicans.

Was not an other person stabbed in a tube station in London just a few days ago?

Anyways last time I was there I think most of London was run by Indians. maybe it is Muslims now, but I cannot imagine them indians giving in. I did see some burpas ehh, whatsitcalled burkas.

ahh

Reply to
Jan Panteltje