TCA0372 (or other)

Hey, I might have a job for the TCA0372

I order these (in 8-pdip) years ago, but never used 'em. I need to supply ~100 mA at ~20 V. The maximum power dissipation will be ~0.5W. (a little less) Now a few questions.

1.) Do you all prefer the SOIC16 package? (a bit better thermally.) is 1/2 watt too much for the dip pac?

2.) There are also TCA0372B's. (But I can't find out the difference.. beside the B version is a little more expensive.)

3.) Is there some nicer (thermally) opamp that will do ~100 mA @ 30V? (A thermal pad would be nice.)

TIA

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Much better thermally, especially the SO16 wide. No thermal pad, but four V- pins. There are some no-connect pins that we also use to transfer heat out. A giant topside copper pour under the part to hit 8 pins, then a lot of vias to inner layer or bottom pours to transfer heat.

You could get crazy and add epoxy or a gap-pad on the underside of the part. But half a watt is tiny.

Looks OK if you heat sink the leads to lots of pcb copper. Dips seem so last century.

Probably, but the TCA is an amazing bargain.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Specs say 137C/w. So 1/2 watt would take the junction to 94C in a 25C ambient. Operating junction max is 150C.

Note that the dip is available in quantity for now but designated for EOL.

I could find no difference in the data sheet between the two. My personal inclination (given a supply choice) would be to select the B version.

Reply to
John S

Thanks, Trolling DK I found the OPA551/2. (60 V, 200 mA) But the TCA's are burning a hole in parts bin.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Thanks John S, The B version has more supply current... that's all I could find.

I didn't see the 'last time buy' flag. Thanks.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

You shouldn't have any issues at 0.5W for the DIP-8 package. I agree that a power pad would be better. Weird about the B version--the only difference shown in the datasheet is higher typical supply current.

It would be nice if they had a version with lower V_OS.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

AoE, Table 4.2b, page 272, lists a dozen possibilities. "Monolithic Power and High-Voltage Op-Amps" with output currents from 0.5 to over 10A, and voltages to 120 volts.

But then, you have TCA0372 burning a hole in your pocket.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

It would be fun to see how much heat comes out which leads.

lunatic fringe electronics

Well I'm using it in a thermal loop so V_os is not so important. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Thanks Win, Hey, no TCA on that page? (you need a column showing which have a thermal pad.. maybe in the x-chapters. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Negative power lead(s)?

OK, so this worked fine today, but it's a dang V^2*R heater, (and I'm not sure where to put the gain. (thermal loop)) And I was thinking of a single break point, SQRT approximation. (A diode(Zener?) and R in the feedback, in parallel with the linear R)

So say a voltage dynamic range of X where should I put the break point? Sqrt (X) seems too low to me.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I drew a picture, sqrt X looks about right. (sorry) ~5 volt zener.. how mussy are they? GH

Reply to
George Herold

Probably. An xray would help.

Is your loop analog? I've done a full square root in the loop, but that was uP code. In fact it included supply voltage compensation, so I had a subroutine that knew V+ and knew Rheater and made heater power linear on input. Later I got brave and made NMR heater controllers PWM and gambled that the PWM frequency wouldn't show up in the spectra; it didn't.

A single breakpoint should make the transfer function as linear as possible at all points in the operating range (no, I haven't done the math). The sqrt function gets wild near zero, but your heater probably doesn't have to work at zero power. Probably you can ignore the low part of the operating range.

There must be some papers somewhere on optimal placement of breakpoints.

lunatic fringe electronics

Right full analog. A uP is the way to go for most of us. A diode and the right resistor. It mostly hangs out at the 1/4 power point (1/2 voltage). As you say there's a nasty bump at low voltage... which is what causes the problems at higher powers. (linear-wise)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

You won't have much choice on package soon, looks like, Mouser lists the TCA0372 in 8-pdip as EOL.

Reply to
bitrex

All DIP-8 TCA0372s appear to be EOL at this time

Reply to
bitrex

The schematic in the TCA0372 datasheet is still wrong after all these years

Reply to
bitrex

Yes, and Yes.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Right, (see John S above.) Hey I noticed Rochester Electronics has about a million in stock.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Well that's good at least. The DIP package was the best! (because I burned them out)

Reply to
bitrex