Sheeeesh!

I set a "expire in 10-days of inactivity" filter on Subject: "Any Christian".

It still shows 10 days to go, which means it's been replied to every day.

Sheeeesh!

And you guys think _I'm_ the nutcase.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | Stormy on the East Coast today... due to Bush's failed policies.

Jim's not the only nut-case, merely one of the more florid examples of the type.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Politics and religion, everyone's favorite off-topic topic.

You had wisdom in disallowing discussion of either on company time when you were a manager...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Aha! You remember ;-)

...Jim Thompson

The best thing to do when first arriving at work (or parties, or anywhere) is to tell this joke. Then, they'll leave you alone:

A priest and a rabbi are walking down the street when a small boy walks past them. The priest exclaims, "I'd really like to screw that kid", and the rabbi asks, "Out of what?"

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

Well, you know: You try to bury these nut cases and they keep popping up after three days.

Happily doing the work of 3 Men ... Moe, Larry & Curly
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Not that I really care from any religious perspective, but aaaaaarrrrgggggghhhh! people, learn to count!

It was after TWO days, and actually more like one and a half days.

Just goes to show how "accurate" some preachings can be.

--- Joe

Reply to
Joe

Show me where it says that he was dead for a full 72 hours. I can't find it. People didn't have good lighting to work around the clock, so a day was the considered daytime. They got up, and went to bed with the daylight.

Matthew 27

57 When the even was come, there came a rich man of Arimathaea, named Joseph, who also himself was Jesus' disciple: 58 He went to Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus. Then Pilate commanded the body to be delivered. 59 And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, 60 And laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock: and he rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulchre, and departed. 61 And there was Mary Magdalene, and the other Mary, sitting over against the sepulchre. 62 Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate, 63 Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again. 64 Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first. 65 Pilate said unto them, Ye have a watch: go your way, make it as sure as ye can. 66 So they went, and made the sepulchre sure, sealing the stone, and setting a watch.

Matthew 28

1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre. 2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. 3 His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow: 4 And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men. 5 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified. 6 He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay. 7 And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you. 8 And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word. 9 And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him. 10 Then said Jesus unto them, Be not afraid: go tell my brethren that they go into Galilee, and there shall they see me. 11 Now when they were going, behold, some of the watch came into the city, and shewed unto the chief priests all the things that were done. 12 And when they were assembled with the elders, and had taken counsel, they gave large money unto the soldiers, 13 Saying, Say ye, His disciples came by night, and stole him away while we slept. 14 And if this come to the governor's ears, we will persuade him, and secure you. 15 So they took the money, and did as they were taught: and this saying is commonly reported among the Jews until this day. 16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them. 17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted. 18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Michael A. Terrell

Jewish kid goes to store to get a loaf of bread. Walks home with bread in one hand, other hand in pocket. Rabbi passes, says, "I see you have the Staff of Life in your hand. What are you holding with the other?" Kid says, "A loaf of bread."

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Must be programmers invading SED again. It's another fence post error.

The preachings are fine. The "third day" includes the first ("On the third day" "after three days"). I agree, engineers should know better.

Reply to
krw

The same programmers who give us stupid crap like "You have one unread messages". There are either too stupid, or just too damn lazy to add a "If X = 1 then print 'message'" exception filter.

Michael A. Terrell

(1) It was checked daily :-( (2) This thread is bye-bye ;-)

...Jim Thompson

ry

g up

-

What do you print for 0? "0 unread message"? "0 unread messages"?

Reply to
Richard Henry

No.

Reply to
krw

That depends on the application, but I would use, "No messages' for an email program.

A database I wrote to inventory parts 25+ years ago either displayed the matching record, or said, "No Matching Item Found". It was written for the Commodore 64 or 128 computers to track the parts in my shop. Because of limited RAM (38,911 Bytes) it was broken into categories. I never bothered to port it over to the PC, but still have an old printout to tell me what row, column and cabinet a part is in.

Michael A. Terrell

Ahh, but Microsoft is just lazy enough. Outlook Express claims "11121 message(s)" currently in this newsgroup file. ;-)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

That is exactly what I'm talking about. If a 'programmer' can't take care of such a minor detail, what else have they screwed up?

Michael A. Terrell

A programmer hasn't "screwed up" anything by using "1 message(s)" any more than an engineer screwed up because their op-amp doesn't have infinite input impedance and gain and has non-zero output impedance.

In any field, whether something is or is not "worth the effort" is a judgement call.

If your native language wasn't English, you'd presumably be complaining about messages not taking the gender of %s into account.

Reply to
Nobody

In your opinion. To many people it has sloppy, unfinished look.

If it made any difference, I would take it into account and reserve a field in the database for that information. Now, show me a REAL EE who claims that any op amp has infinite input impedance.

Michael A. Terrell

lazy to

"11121

take

More than a bit presumptuous in assuming that all languages other than English have gender. Not good engineering at all.

Reply to
JosephKK