A Minute Of Your Time

Gentlemen (and ladies), I'd like to take a minute of your time, please. Many of us have been busy with wrapping up end-of-the-year projects, and may not have heard of the unprecedented disaster in South Asia. The death count is well over 50,000 already, and will probably go up significantly as the mud and wreckage are cleaned up. This is the most deadly tidal wave in modern history (the next greatest being the tsunami that hit South China in the late 18th century, with 40,000 dead).

Not only that, but a second disaster of the same magnitude is coming. Excess mortality due to communicable diseases, as well as deaths due to lack of potable water and lack of basic medical care, may claim as many lives in the following month.

By acting quickly, relief organizations can help to prevent this second disaster. They need all the help they can get, as soon as possible. Decisions in the next few days will affect the reach and extent of the relief effort. Their decisions will be made on the basis of money available and pledged to help.

Please take a look at the list below, and at least consider contributing to one of these organizations. They all need as much help as you can give in this holiday season. But please do it as soon as possible.

ACTION AGAINST HUNGER

247 West 37th Street, Suite 1201 New York, N.Y. 10018 212-967-7800 x108

AMERICAN JEWISH WORLD SERVICE

45 West 36th Street, 10th Floor New York, N.Y. 10018 800-889-7146

AMERICAN JEWISH JOINT DISTRIBUTION COMMITTEE South Asia Tsunami Relief Box 321

847A Second Avenue New York, N.Y. 10017 212-687-6200 ext. 851

AMERICAN FRIENDS SERVICE COMMITTEE AFSC Crisis Fund

1501 Cherry Street Philadelphia, Pa. 19102 215-241-7000

AMERICAN RED CROSS International Response Fund P.O. Box 37243 Washington, D.C. 20013

800-HELP NOW

CARE

151 Ellis Street Atlanta, GA 30303 800-521-CARE

CATHOLIC RELIEF SERVICES Tsunami Emergency P.O. Box 17090 Baltimore, Md. 21203-7090

800-736-3467

DIRECT RELIEF INTERNATIONAL

27 South La Patera Lane Santa Barbara, Calif. 93117 805-964-4767

DOCTORS WITHOUT BORDERS P.O. Box 1856 Merrifield, Va. 22116-8056

888-392-0392

EPISCOPAL RELIEF AND DEVELOPMENT Emergency Fund P. O. Box 12043 Newark, NJ 07101

800-334-7626

INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF RED CROSS/RED CRESCENT

INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL CORPS Earthquake/Tsunami Relief

1919 Santa Monica Boulevard, Suite 300 Santa Monica, Calif. 90404 800-481-4462

INTERNATIONAL ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN CHARITIES Asia Disaster Response P.O. Box 630225 Baltimore, MD 21263-0225

877-803-4622

ISLAMIC RELIEF USA Southeast Asia Earthquake Emergency P.O. Box 6098 Burbank, Calif. 91510

888-479-4968

MERCY CORPS Southeast Asia Earthquake Response Dept. W P.O. Box 2669 Portland, Ore. 97208

800-852-2100

OPERATION USA

8320 Melrose Avenue, Suite 200 Los Angles, Calif. 90069 800-678-7255

OXFAM AMERICA Donor Services Department

26 West Street Boston, MA 12111-1206 800-77-OXFAM

SAVE THE CHILDREN Asia Earthquake/Tidal Wave Relief Fund

54 Wilton Road Westport, Conn. 06880 800-728-3843

UNICEF General Emergency Fund

333 E. 38th Street New York, NY 10016 800-4-UNICEF

Thanks for your time and considering giving them a hand.

Chris

Reply to
CFoley1064

The counter-argument to this - and I don't say I subscribe to it - is that the economy of the entire country runs on tourist dollars. Unless the resorts are rebuilt, people will starve as soon as the "disaster aid" runs out. Or, they will take to other pursuits such as narcotics cultivation, which is said to translate directly into increased street crime in first-world countries.

Reply to
larwe

[snip]

I'm not sure whose head is up whose ass ;-)

The only aid we should provide should be for restoration of health and safety.

Giving money so that resorts can be rebuilt is foolish. Let the resort's insurance cover that. If they don't have insurance... tough!

...Jim Thompson

I know my relatives have complained about the Red Cross. For instance, they give out donuts to American soldiers in front of cameras, then take them and give them to officers after the pictures are taken. And every few years exposes of their corruption is publicized.

You left out the Salvation Army, which I have not heard negative complaints of corruption about.

And here is a rant I posted to the misc.survivalism newsgroup. I think Americans aught to support our soldiers, exploited for globalist elitism (see Burket et al.), before they support nations that have refused to aid America in its hours of need:

I said:"

"

Reply to
Scott Stephens

It seams somebody actually managed to get his head up his ass literally and still being able to type a message. Wow!

Reply to
Nico Coesel

Let's give to the French Aid Agencies, We wouldn't want them to look bad, only giving $136,000. ;-)

Mike Tongue firmly in cheek.

Reply to
amdx

Oops, the name's Barnett.

Reply to
Scott Stephens

The problem with global welfare is you make people dependent on it. A number of failed states live off it. Saw a documentary about some areas in Russia where the communists reorganized (socialized) tribal cultures and built cities where they are not economically viable. Families disintegrate and people turn to alcohol and drugs, because they have no productivity, creativity, purpose or self esteem.

Reply to
Scott Stephens

I read in sci.electronics.design that Scott Stephens wrote (in ) about 'A Minute Of Your Time', on Wed, 29 Dec 2004:

Aren't there similar problems with tribal cultures in one or two other countries?

John Woodgate

Perspective: Disaster that is is, the casualties are about 1/4 the annual death rate in Sri Lanka. The property damage is much less that the Hurricanes hitting Florida!

So there are still about 20 million people in the country who are not involved in the areas which were hit. We only need to deal with the injuries and sanitation problems created in those areas which took the damage!

BTW a C130 can land on an unprepared field in a lot less space than a '707' sized plane. Also, there is an airbase that they will use as an operations center with helicopters to distribute the supplies.

Reply to
Clarence_A

Of course; I researched some demographics a while back (sorting out some IQ propaganda about red and blue states) and was led to a list of the world's countries productivity.

Several countries are basically welfare states; they produce nothing and consume aid. It would seem best to gently remove the aid while enabling relocation. But who wants third-world lamers around?

Reply to
Scott Stephens

A number of years back a hurricane (typhoon in the pacific?) hit the Virgin Islands, and the peasants went on a looting rampage. Tourism was down for years, IIRC.

Reply to
Scott Stephens

I suppose anyone who goes there will see it (unless this code is dependent on IP address), but care's website is not working as I write this, it gives this error message:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'

Type mismatch: 'major'

/includes/common.asp, line 18

It's of course a really bad time for their website to be down, and also a bad advertisement for Microsoft (even if the problem is the code written by the web designer).

-----

Ben Bradley

Think about tribal cultures much closer to home. Your home.

John Woodgate

The university "Aristocracy of Pull" has nominated DeVry fast-trackers as their n****rs. I have no obligation to honor any social conventions of the aristocracy. Checks they write with my name on them will bounce. The police should charge them for forgery. If they charge me, well, I'll escape from tyranny as best I can.

Reply to
Scott Stephens

Don't worry. Knowing Asian people, they don't need our money to rebuild the resorts. There is enough money and cheap hands around there to do that by them selfes. BTW: Yesterday I heard some British tourists already arrived in Thailand for a holiday in the disaster region. The hotel owner guaranteerd them a perfect holiday.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Please contribute to help the home-page-less.

Misery loves company, especially this one.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Thanks for posting that Chris. All too inadequate donation made. And what a contrast in attitude between yours and the ranting nutcase responses some have posted.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke