Sharp RGBY Televisions

Let alone the unique blue/green flame of burning zinc.

As far as I know, it looks so strage because it really is composed of two lines, one greenish and the other bluish. And being a poorly controlled flame, the color will change with conditions, giving a variable mixture of both.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Except that the lasers that I mentioned (which I regrettably snipped but can still cite thanks to Google's usenet archive) are single-wavelength ones.

These single-wavelength lasers would be common cheap red laser pointers having a very high rate of both having close-enough-to-all visible spectrum output within half or 1/4 of a nm of their main "laser wavelength" around 650 nm,

or *secondarily* red He-Ne lasers whose laser beams have significant presence of only one He-Ne laser wavelength, namely 632.8 nm,

or 532 nm green laser pointers, where I see greatly strong lack of visible spectrum content at wavelengths longer than 533 nm or shorter than 531 nm,

and 473 nm "DPSS" lasers - I had one in my hands for a few days and found at least essentially all of its visible spectrum content to be in one wavelength.

And I have on hand a few diffraction gratings, a couple prisms, as well as a few of the "clear diffraction-grating-capable" discs that come in some spindle-packs of recordable CDs and recordable DVDs.

I have plenty of experience with the above lasers being single-wavelength in my experience. For that matter, as much as I played with lasers, I have yet to get my hands onto one producing visible-spectrum laser radiation at more than one wavelength. (Although I have seen and not gotten my hands onto a few argon lasers that produced laser light at 2 wavelengths simultaneously among the top 4 or 5 or so wavelengths of argon lasers.)

Don Klipstein

Thank you for that. Flawless.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Don, depending on what KR:AR ratio I use when I fill the tube, the magnet settings, and optics, I can get:

457 476 482 488 496 504 514.5 520 528 530 568 575 630 (largeframe KR only) 647 676 690

And in Europe, where stringent safety precautions are taken, you have laser shows that can dip into the crowd, at roughly 10 times the US Max MPE, see:

Done properly, with TUV, etc approval, its safe and a very beautiful effect..

Steve

Reply to
osr

You can thank Pink Floyd for that.

Reply to
AnimalMagic

Would not "compiled" be a better term?

There is a video of a Thai dance that used a lot of yellow lasers.

Quite a beautiful dance, even though it gives the impression that young girls and women are enslaved to such "service" in life. Then they pick the best and prettiest dancers from that crop to actually put "on display".

A lot of them look real hot, but then my 18 or older alarm starts sounding, because even though some of them are surely of adult age, many did not look that way.

Anyway, they had a LOT of pure yellow lasers going and it certainly does light everything up with a real yellow tinge.

Still, an LCD panel is a backlit filter array more than anything else, so this added 'pixel' into the 'pixel mosh pit' might make for a 'compiled pixel' that actually expands the color space use quite a bit.

Funny how I had to explain to a guy at work the other day how the three colors add up to black on a printer and white on a display. I had to explain to him the differences between additive and subtractive color mixing and how an opaque "color" will add together to form black.

He acted like he still didn't believe me as he went back to his workstation. I did not have time from my work to go into any great depth of show him how a display adds up the same three colors differently than the printer does. Most all printers use opaque inks, not transparent inks

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

We cannot even see what a modern display is capable of. They can all pretty much produce colors that we are not able to discern. Our useable, readable, "seeable" "color space" is INSIDE of what they can produce already.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I have always remembered Violet. So you had a very shitty NYSC TV at the time you decided that that was the way things are, or it was very poorly set-up, which was pretty common in the 4:3 NTSC days.

(Never Twice Same Color).

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Even if his Igloo has no power. The fridge is actually a food vault to keep the bears away.

At least... that is the pitch. :-)

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Did they 'create' that fish inside of a computer simulator, or are you full of shit and they filmed that fish with a four sub-pixel camera?

Bwuahahahahaah!

I already posted that the source material would also have to contain additional information for such a system to work correctly. Would be no harder to store the data, but one would have to engineer a new set of source generation tools.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

And my head jerks a lot when I watch them...

Or is that *him* shaking :-) ?

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

For some reason, I also thought of 'Liquid Sky' :-)

Even though there isn't even the most remote connection.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Cover the entire gamut... Never Twice Same Color

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

In the over all history PF comes off as very safe and responsible with lasers. The worse offender was actually Blue Oyster Cult and mainly a fellow named David Infante...

Its becoming more of a issue now because of cheap Chinese solid state lasers sold illegally to people without variances, and the federal regulatory agency involved has maybe 10 employees nationwide assigned to non ionizing safety, not just lasers.. The thing is saving a lot of eyesight is poor QC by the Chinese. Five years ago you needed someone like me to keep anything over 100 mW going, ie ion lasers require adjustment and training and TLC. . Now you can get a Chinese solid state box for starting prices of 400$ and up with powers starting at 100 mW and climbing as high as 3 watts, at prices clubs can make in 2 nights. Imported, illegally, as a "power supply" on the customs declaration.

Laser shows are a huge business in Europe, and South America/Asia , but not here, because of the regulatory climate. We have the most draconian rules on the planet, but they are selectively enforced. If I do a show I have to report it and have insurance, because I will have a corporate client who dreads liability. So who gets inspected/ checked? Me. Who doesn't? The guy who spends 2000$ for a one watt box , no safety training, and has no skill in performing shows... &^ %#* it...

Eye surgery lasers start doing tissue damage at about 50-75 mW.

And that person will audience scan, without calculating MPEs and with static beams, and someone will get hurt...... Problem is, the eye damage mechanism is not so painful if your drunk... If you do not get a direct hit to the nerve, The brain will " stitch in" the damage over night and you wont know you have a problem till the truck hits you, or you cant read....

Steve

Reply to
osr

But that is CMYK, the inverse of RGB plus real black. An extra way to make yellow seems redundant.

bill

Reply to
Bill Martin

You missed the point. Several printer makers now have five, six, or even seven ink 'colors' to make their print jobs more accurate.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I know of 4 somewhat common inkjet printer ink colors in addition to the basic 4 of CVMYK. 2 of those improve in ways unrelated to expanding the color gamut.

"Photo Magenta" and "Photo Cyan" are lighter shades of magenta and cyan. These are used when only a light sprinkling of magenta and/or cyan dots is needed. This permits such a "light sprinkling" to have fainter dots more closely spaced to avoid what can otherwise be a "visible sprinkling of dots".

Then I have seen red and green inks for purposes of expanding the color gamut, apparently to me mainly to achieve shades of red and green that CMYK cannot achieve.

Don Klipstein