[Shameless Plug] A New Book

Shame, shame, shame on me!! :-)

Actually, there is some evil in the headers of your posts:

Up until the opening parenthesis, everything was going so well... Those headers clearly need some work ;-)

Carlos

Carlos Moreno

Yup. And if you use a Makefile to build the book the same way you build a program, you always know everything is up-to-date.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Mr and Mrs PED, can
                                  at               I borrow 26.7

Yup. Of course it has to be gnumake, too.

--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Ticket to the moon, flight leaves here today
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  from Satellite 2"

If you are going to organize all that, why not use Texinfo up front, and postpone the output format decision as far as possible. Maybe diagrams?

--
"If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don\'t use
More details at:

Real player isn't first rate , it phones home quite a bit(realscheduler.exe).

How about using a open source media player ?

vlc

mplayer
xms

vlc or mplayer will just about play any media file available

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Hi Tim, congratulations on finishing your book. I'll bet you're glad "it's all over".

(snipped)

Ha ha. But posting only good reviews on Amazon wouldn't that make those reviews, as a whole, fraudulent?

Actually, it's fair to your potential readers, and good for you as the author, to see all reviews both good and bad. It's good for you because it helps you improve your book for future editions.

Tim, ya' know what you might do that's useful? Start compiling an errata 'cause people will start asking you for the book's errata. And, of course, the errata can be used to improve future printings of your book. (You're probably already doing this.)

Best of Luck, [-Rick-]

Reply to
Rick Lyons

[snip]

Only ~30 of them are "bidirectional", that is I reply to them.

Most are simply addresses created when I order something from a site that requires an E-mail address for shipping notification, etc.

I went this route when spam started increasing...

With individualized addressing I know immediately who sold my address to spammers; or I tire of their ads and delete the address.

...Jim Thompson

All true. But I had to live up to the subject line...

As I find things they'll go into the errata. Most of the issues I have found so far are things that I want to add should the book ever go to a second edition, but I have no illusions about the book being error-free.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

He needs the artwork to copy too.

Jerry

Jerry Avins

You young whippersnappers! I used to write production instruction manuals in NROFF and make them look good on a nine-pin printer. :-)

Jerry

Jerry Avins

How about Real Alternative?

Jerry

Jerry Avins

Jerry, it looks like these are all windows packages. Blicch!

--
%  Randy Yates                  % "I met someone who looks alot like you,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %             she does the things you do,
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr
Reply to
Randy Yates

But did you back them up to paper tape first?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

You had a nine pin printer? All we had was a worn out Kleinschmidt 60 ma teletype for a printer.

Creative recycling is the art of making what you want from things you can get. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

A Kleinschmidt? We would have dreamed of hav'n a Kleinschmidt. Would have been like a laser printer to us. We used to take polaroid pictures of the VT05 screen for hardcopy. And glad to have them we were...

Jim Stewart

I wrote an NROFF for the Diablo 1610 (or was it the 1620?) and it supported graphics via just the period. The fine steps horizontally and vertically, rolling the paper up and down, was fun to watch. It also did typesetting with both inter-word and inter-character space adjustments and supported some modest kerning, as well. And that was years after writing one for an early Centronix dot matrix.

Whatever happened to the old chisel and stone tablet, anyway? It's not as though stone has become harder to come by...

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

. Frankly, being able to see the equations and figures in the

Tell that to the kids today and they won't believe you. They won't!

-Andrew M

Reply to
Andrew M

You youngster! You had chisels? ...

--
%  Randy Yates                  % "...the answer lies within your soul
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %       \'cause no one knows which side
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr
Reply to
Randy Yates

The chisels got dull, and the availible stones got smaller. :(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Get off my lawn you dang kids!!

You had ones *and* zeros?? You had it so easy.

Reply to
David K. Bryant