SG/UC3525 problem resolved

Agree on all fronts. 3525 data sheets all copy each other, and they suck. And I had the same hassle figuring out I had to ground pin 10...

Reply to
kell

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the previous thread concerning my mismatched timing periods with this PWM smps chip.

The culprit was indeed the shutdown pin.

I see now what happened.

I followed the guide to use of the shutdown pin in the 'lab test fixture' diagram. The *only* diagram in fact that shows it's use.

That shows shutdown activated by connecting the shutdown input to Vref via a 2k resistor. To *enable* normal operation the pin is open ( indeed it's connected to the 2k resistor which is now floating ) - which the text says contradictorily earlier that you shouldn't do !

Some bright person spotted that a recent copy of a TI data sheet correctly shows the shutdown input tied to Vref by a resistor ( 5K for some reason in this case ) and the chip enabled by *shorting shutdown to ground* !

I perused many data sheets including TI, STM, Motorola, On-semi's version of same and *all* make the same mistake of showing pin 10 floating in active mode. Only a recent data sheet for TI's 3525A gets it right - even the data from TI for the 3525B enhanced version gets it wrong again *and* an earlier rev of TI's 3525A also shows the wrong method !

Can you believe that ?

Just to make things more interesting the internal block diagram of the

3525 in 'lab test fixture' mode is different to the one given earlier in the data sheet and gives an erroneous impression of how shutdown is internally connected and how it functions - see the connection to the PWM latch. This error is replicated in *all* the data sheets I've seen including the one with the correct pin connection !

Phew !

Thanks to all for sorting that one for me.

Shorting shutdown to ground to enable operation avoids the noise pickup of course.

Cheers, Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

[snip]

Thanks for following up with the resolution. I'm sure it will save some other people a lot of trouble when they have a similar problem and search google groups. ;-)

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

YVW ! The least I could do.

I'm actually intending to contact all the relevant semiconductor vendors and request they amend their data sheets ( with a *big* erratum message ).

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

The UC3525A data sheets were generated in the mid 80s, to illustrate a replacement part for Silicon General's SG3525 (already obsolescent at that time) and SG3525A. Your 'correct' lab bench test shutdown hook-up method shows up in the earliest 'A' version Unitrode data sheets, which TI adopted.

The 3525B appeared in the mid-90s. As the B version only represented a process-tightening, I doubt that there was any great effort to generate app notes in excess of those already present (eg U89 last published in IC500 in '87).

The shut-down pin in Unitrode A and B versions was usable as a crude high speed latch in pulse-by-pulse limiting. As such it presented application advantages over the 3524 and 3525, which were either slow, unlatched, or both.

Lab bench open-loop test layout is intended only for that function, and both will probably work as described, to demonstrate the improved features. I note that this part's sheet was last revised in '04, but most likely only to ease electronic publication and storage.

Most power supply designers will become aware, fairly early on, that noise immunity is improved when localized low impedances are provided in victim locations - this includes all IC input pins. Open circuit input pins are seldom a good idea in a noisy environment.

You have discovered one of the advantages that accurate physical breadboards display over electronic simulations.

RL

Reply to
legg