See this Fast pulse circuit.

I ran across this thread that starts with, "Here is a simple pulse generator I have made for testing medium BW scopes' rise times. It produces flat top signal with clean and fast rise and fall edges."

He uses a MAX3949 Laser Driver to generate the signal.

He started with 40 to 50 ps and got a little better each iteration. Also, has better connectors if you need them and some other mods.

It's not a toy, but priced well. Somewhere between $60 and $100.

Here's the thread starting when people started receiving their pulsers and making scope measurements. The first few pages were just people placing orders before he started production.

Don't be turned off by the eevblog, some high end developers commenting in this thread.

There is a Google sheet comparing dozens of different scopes and their BWs.

Here's a video from the thread, using the pulser to show bumps from Vias and square corners, I found it very interesting but useless to anything I do.

The pulser use starts here,

That whole video starts here with a lot of high speed talk. Hmm, I guess you will need to move the cursor to the beginning I could get a link that didn't start at 11 minutes.

Here's a review video by The Signal Path, shows a 40ps Rise time on a

13GHz Agilent Scope. It may have been better, I didn't understand some of what he said.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

We never buy Maxim.

SY88022AL is a nice little laser drver.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

I have heard many people for many years say don't buy Maxim. It would seem that would get back to Maxim and they would change there ways or go out of business. They are still in business, have they changed their ways at all? Would the SY88022AL be any faster in his circuit? Is the price comparable? Other than that did you find any thing fun? Did you like the very small ripple caused by the square corners in the Hackaday video? Mikek

Reply to
amdx62

I have done design work for at least two customers who felt besieged by Maxim salesdroids. It helps enormously if you have a _pilot_ production line with 300 people working there. One of them did actually custom chips with Maxim, medium size BGAs, and more than once.

cheers, Gerhard

p.s. The German word Beuteschema does not seem to have an English equivalent, i.e "the sum of attributes that make sth. interesting prey"

p.p.s. I do have some LT1028 with Maxim logo. Weird.

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann