MY CHRISTMAS PRESENT TO YOU: TUTORIAL how to install MS-Dos 6.22 on USB 4 Terrabyte drives and larger and boot ! ;) =D

THIS IS MY LATE CHRISTMAS PRESENT TO YOU.

IF YOU EVER WANTED TO BOOT MS-DOS 6.22 ON YOUR SUPER DUPER SYSTEM THAN NOW YOU CAN. WITHOUT MUCH RISK.

YOU CAN EVEN DO IT ON MASTER BOOT RECORD AND BIOS SYSTEMS.

THIS IS PRETTY AWESOME.

MY MIND WAS BLOWN AND STILL BLOWN WITH THE POSSIBILITIES.

USB CIRCUMENTS MBR/BIOS LIMITATIONS I DONT KNOW EXACTLY YET HOW, BUT IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE PROTOCOL, IT ALMOST FEELS LIKE VIRTUALIZATION OF THE FUTURE.

Let me know if you have any documents/links explaining how this USB protocol manages to get 4 TB drives working on MB/BIOS 2 TB limited systems, MIND BLOWING.

Anyway I also have some videos to proof this and show some electrical issues with booting, but today I woke up everything is fine... working in laptop of 2012 and dreampc from 2006, both BIOS based.

MS-DOS 6.22 is kinda cool, allows you to throw away all the complexities of windows and keep things simple and dedicated.

THIS MIGHT AS WELL BE THE REVIVAL OF MS-DOS... RETROOOOO WILL BEEE !!!!!

Here is the tutorial in overflight:

Tutorial how to install ms-dos 6.22 onto a usb mass storage device using vmware and other tools:

Written quickly/sloppy by Skybuck Flying on 2 january 2020, this should give you a general but workable idea/method how to do it, it worked for me ! ;) =D

Ok here is how I got ms-dos 6.22 working on usb, it was quite genius and crazy but it worked lol.

With full 2 GB partition on 4 TB usb drive ! HOLYSHIT ! =D

So here is how it goes, the method:

  1. First create a virtual machine in vmware 8 as usual for ms-dos 6.22/operating system

  1. Create a virtual disk of 2 GB.

  2. Use virtual floppy disks to install all 3 disks of ms-dos 6.22 to this virtual drive, make sure the floppy disk is connected when starting the virtual machine.

  1. If necessary go into boot menu of virtual machine/bios press F2 or escape and boot from floppy if necessary but if floppy disk is already connected in vmware machine settings then it should automatically boot from floppy disk.

  2. Install ms-dos from floppy disks as usual, this will go quite fast, when it askes to change floppy disk, go to virtual machine settings and change floppy disk image to disk 2 and finally disk 3 and so forth.

  1. Once ms-dos 6.22 is installed in vmware8, shut down the machine, also make sure this drive is not mapped or anything.

  2. Use the following tool to convert vmdk to vhd: 2Tware Convert VHD 1.0.2

  1. Save the new vhd file somewhere using this 2tware conver tool.

  2. Now attach the usb drive and make it go online if necessary in disk management in computer management.

  1. Use the following tool to copy VHD to physical disk, make sure physical disk is empty or can be overwritten without losing critical data, all critical data on usb drive will become inaccessible possibly so make sure you can afford that.

HDDRawCopy1.10Portable.exe

  1. I also created a partition on the usb drive but I don't think this is necessary, I did it with diskpart and fat16 and such but this can be skipped, HDD Raw Copy tool doesn't care what is on usb drive, it will just overwrite it.

  1. Use VHD Attach tool or the VHD attach options in disk management, for safety reasons I advise you to disable/detach all VHD's use special VHD Attach tool for this, to avoid risk of accidently clicking delete VHD in stupid disk tool of microsoft windows, that's how I did it, minimize risk, though it kinda increases risk, but at least avoids confusion. First I did a test from vhd to vhd that worked perfectly. Then I did the real thing from VHD to Physical disk which was the usb drive ! ;) =D

  2. And voila, after HDDRawCopy is done MS-DOS 6.22 partition/MBR and such will be available on USB DRIVE, this is fantastic ! ;) =D

  1. Now ms-dos 6.22 can be booted from boot menu and have maximum capacity of 2 GB available assuming your BIOS supports 2 GB.

If not then use 500 MB for drive/vhd capacity !

GOOD LUCK

And may the SKYBUCK-FORCE BE WITH YOU ! ALWAYSZZZ ! :) =D

P.S.: THIS IS SO COOOOOL ! =D

I always wanted to have some way to boot this computer into ms-dos 6.22 ! =D hihihihih.

And now thanks to usb drives this has become a reality ! =D

You could also try USB Sticks ! ;) =D

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000

We are all indebted to your majestic contribution to retro computing,

--
Rheilly
Reply to

On 03/01/2020 05:31, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: > XXXXX deleted loadsa shit

fell at the first post:-

a) dont have a copy of DOS 6.22 b) don't have a floppy drive

damn!!

Reply to
Andy Bennet

JFGI

He said virtual floppy.

Oh you're trolling with the same sort of stupidity as Skybuck! Well played!

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

Use an acetylene torch..that should melt a drive,making it more than floppy.

Reply to
Robert Baer