ODB++

Originally developed by Valor, ODB++ is an electronic database for printed circuit board manufacturing. Created in 1995, it was designed as a way to better organize the transfer of board data from the designer to the manufacturer. What is ODB++? ODB++ is a data file structure stored in a hierarchy of files and folders. Often when ODB++ files are transferred, designers will use common operating system commands that preserve the hierarchy structure by lumping all of the data into one compressed file.

Why ODB++? The hierarchy structure in ODB++ allows designers and manufacturers to transfer more than just the standard layer artwork and drill data featured in the competing Gerber format. ODB++?s unique file structure allows for large amounts of additional data to be included in a single file, including the material stack-up, bill of materials, and component placement, as well as dimension and fabrication data. With the exception of Eagle, ODB++ can be accessed through most PCB design programs (Expedition, PADS, Allegro), making it a nearly universal format throughout PCB manufacturing. Who Uses ODB++? Because of its convenience and structure, ODB++ has become the industry standard format for PCB manufacturing. Today, around 80 percent of PCBs are fabricated using ODB++. Amongst the top-ten largest EMS companies, virtually all are ODB++ compatible. How does a PCB Manufacturer Handle ODB++ Data? ODB++ files make it easy to generate all of the necessary programs and instructions for PCB machinery. ODB++ allows for quick and easy product manufacturing, without the hassle of having to reverse-engineer data to the machine software. ODB++ makes it possible for manufacturing to create your product at the shortest possible turnaround time. Its comprehensive file structure guarantees less chance for machine or human error in the manufacturing process, ensuring top quality and reliability in your PCBA.

*NOTE: "With the exception of Eagle"
Reply to
Robert Baer

ers to

ructure

What about KiCAD?

Perhaps in the next major release?

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

cture

O stands for Owned by Mentor Graphics?

Dubious. This source claims:

cb-fabrication

Approximately 90% of all PCB designs worldwide are transferred from designe r to fabricator using Gerber RS-274X, and, therefore, regarded by many as t he de facto industry standard.

In contrast, the ODB++ file format is estimated to account for around 10% o f the total PCB market. However, is simplicity and its user friendliness ar e making it an increasingly compelling option.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
speff

Seems I mostly see Gerber for fab, ODB++ for assembly data.

Some refer to it as "ASCII", which seems disingenuous and I assume is a historical artifact.

PCB workflows change slowly and aren't very flexible, it seems. I mean, you can very easily parse a pick-and-place file, or CSV or other spreadsheet or table format, but no one in PCBA gets paid to write parsers.

One quirk that comes to mind, a testability report that doesn't detect SMT pads, only vias of adequate size and thru pads. I assign testpoints in my design, but no one reads the outputs, go figure.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Design Website:

Tim Williams

What's this "testability report", generated by what?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The one time I heard about ODB++ was at a contract assembler who wanted to use it to find the pads in the design. There was no reason to consider test points because the boards are tested on a custom test fixture.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

We generate both when we release a board. The gerbers are encapsulated inside the ODB structure.

We occasionally write some Python to snoop or edit PCB files. PADS will import and export anything in ASCII, including the parts libraries.

We add BIST multiplexers on most boards, so we can check power supplies and interesting things without fixturing. Sometimes we bring things out on a ribbon cable. Last resort is test points and a pogo fixture, which we seldom do. But I need to do soon for an especially weird little board.

Our test department manager attends our design reviews and discusses testability.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

One source sez 80%,another sez 10%. Maybe both are liars. In any case, 100% of PCB fabricators use data supplied to them...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Hmm..guess a single-sided PCB with 50 SMT zeners in series and no vias is untestable by most FAB houses...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Robert Baer wrote in news:Dm5RF.161678$ snipped-for-privacy@fx34.iad:

Place round node pads between them all. Then, once populated, you can probe and test individual or strings of compnents. OR you actually could place a via between each diode pair, and then you would have test nodes all across the bottom of the board. OR you could populate both sides and use vias and two layers to use half the sq in real estate, but twice the profile height.

Prior to population... Fab house... Single layer?

Can be inspected by a computer optically. Not one single continuity test needs to be performed. Hell, human visual inspection would be 100% good enough and likely quicker.

So, yeah, with their bed of nails and such they could test continuity between two nodes, but visual can do the exact same thing just as reliably. In this case. A Single sided board with a single series string of (not yet populated) parts.

You talking contract assembly of the finished product? Then I would NOT test in this case. Better to test each diode first. So if they can do that, then OK. Testing the whole string would require that you construct and provide a test fixture (chamber). (or pay through the nose for them to set one up).

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

This thing, I think:

Another verification step, though maybe it integrates with flying-probe machines or something, dunno.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

The basic tests don't have any visibility into component type, so they want for example, test access on both sides of series termination resistors. Which would basically double the layout area and negate the value of those resistors, and makes me less inclined to put them in... what a strange incentive.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams