SED Posts in the Wild

Well, i guess that many posts to SED *are* wild, but having items "duplicated" elsewhere (especially strange places) is *wild*. Look for something that would appear to be mundane - resistors, transistors, transformers (just one word as subject).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Let's just say that he took customer service to a new level in that business.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

-- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com Info for manufacturers:

Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:

Spehro Pefhany

D from BC hath wroth:

Sorry, typo error.

Only 20,000 answers from 1995. Add another 2,000 or so from 1998 to

1995 under various names, email addresses, and mis-spellings.

Dunno. Have you stopped beating your wife? There is no right answer.

My advice is always the same. Don't look into the LED flashlight.

Incidentally, most of my 20,000+ answers are intended to help those asking. It's often difficult, sometimes tedious, but both the person asking and answering usually learn something from the exchange. I often have to search for answers and check my sloppy math. Even the detail I supply to repair your misconceptions is my apparently misplaced attempts to be helpful. I think of it as giving back something to those that helped me when I was getting started, switching professions, and asking questions.

What's your motivation?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

No...I haven't stopped beating the wife.. She's got two black eyes. That's because I had to tell her twice... (ok... just some trashy humour...) :P

Motivation? I guess you're asking why I'm on SED..

I'm mostly here for a combo of entertainment and hints on electronics problems I'm stuck on.. Idea sharing. Brain food...that sort of thing..

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

By my count, I have gotten over $80,000 worth of consulting jobs that are direct results (as in, "I found you by doing a Google search of [ electrohydraulic actuator engineer ]") as a direct result of my search engine strategy -- and some of the jobs where I don't know how they found me (mostly headhunter referals) may also be a result of those efforts.

--
Guy Macon  Guy Macon
Guy Macon  Guy Macon

Best to limit it to 4 lines of 79 characters, but otherwise good.

Usenet being what it is, even a simple 4-line sig or adding two words to the subject line will on occasion result in someone flaming you, as "Don Bowey" did earlier in this thread. To an employer with a modicum of intelligence, such flames say little about me -- anyone who is in the habit of Googling potential employees has no doubt seen a lot of unjustified flaming -- but my response tells an employer a lot about me; whether I ignore it, escalate, engage in a long flame war, etc. tells the employer a lot about how I will relate to others.

--
Guy Macon  Guy Macon
Guy Macon  Guy Macon

designer?

Other.

From [

] (Which I happen to be the author of...):

Arms Race

An Arms Race is a situation in which parties with different goals get into a escalating cycle as they react to each other. As cheetahs get faster, so do the gazelles they hunt. As tanks gain armor-piercing ability, the enemy tanks get better armor. Spammers and spam filters are a classic example of an arms race.

In the area of search engines, there is the potential for an arms race between search engine providers and site owners. Search engine providers want those sites that meet the needs of the search engine users to come out on top of the results page. Website owners -- and the search engine optimization consultants they hire -- often want their site to come out on top whether or not it is what the user was looking for.

There are two broad strategies for getting a high ranking on search engines; the first is to cheat -- to identify and exploit deficiencies in the search algorithms. To follow that path is to get into an arms race with the search engine's ability to identify cheaters. The second broad strategy is to make the website more appealing to users by giving them the content they want and making it easy for the user to find his way around the website.

An early example of cheating that is no longer effective was keyword spamming. A website would have large amounts of text with no purpose other than to fool search engines. This text would often be hidden by using a tiny font, white letters on a white background, or hiding the text under graphics. At first this worked well, artificially boosting the ranks of the websites doing the cheating, but the large gains turned into larger losses when the search engines started penalizing keyword spammers.

The better the search engines get at recognizing useful content and identifying cheaters, the better the strategy of improving the quality of website content works. Relying on cheating is a risky business model; if the search engine figures out how it is being tricked, it may penalize the site by reducing the site's ranking or even banning the site from appearing in the search results. For this reason, it is important for website owners to pay attention to the techniques used by website designers and search engine optimization consultants to make sure that they benefit the users.

Several other strategies to cheat or game the search engines are based on the fact that many search engines consider a hyperlink to a site to be a 'vote' for that site or measure of popularity. The use of hyperlinks as an indicator of website 'quality' led to link exchanges, link farms, bulletin board spam and other strategies to boost sites. Search engines responded by attempting to algorithmically evaluate the quality of each page, and discount links on sites or pages of little real value. While these algorithms to assess quality have neutralized millions of web pages, they have not (and cannot?) objectively determine the value and context of all the links on the web. The number of links to a page remains one of the biggest factors in how a page ranks in conventional search engines, and remains a prime area of interest for black-hat and grey-hat SEO.

Also see Google United States Patent Application #20070143345 _ENTITY DISPLAY PRIORITY IN A DISTRIBUTED GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEM _

(search on 20070143345)

Comments on same:

Also see:

(Note: The turtlemeat.com site has some good info, but overall is an example of what I recommend *not* doing:

-- Guy Macon Guy Macon Guy Macon Guy Macon Guy Macon Guy Macon Guy Macon Guy Macon

Reply to
Guy Macon

Yeah, I told me wife off the other day! yeah, I really told her good!

Then she told me to fight like a man and get out from under the bed!

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Dear Mr. Bloggs,

I am glad to inform you that your request for addition to the plonk file was satisfied. Reason: weighted and found wanting.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky