sed is mostly ruined

Nobody here seems to know much about electronics, much less how to design it.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Science teaches us to doubt.

Claude Bernard

Reply to
jlarkin

That sure sounds heartfelt! Having a tough day hacking at the class-D coalface? :)

Congratulations on getting both topic keywords into the first sentence.

piglet

Science teaches us to verify.

Reply to
piglet

Kill files improve life, as does refraining from poking the alligators.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You been saying it regularly for like 5 years and yet you still here all the live-long day.

If everyone around you is an idiot and you still hang out with them doesn't that make you King of the Idiots? Seems like a dubious honor!!!

Reply to
bitrex

Mr. Larkin is being a thinking-man. the thinking-man's drama queen.

Reply to
bitrex

(unmoderated) USENET is -- and has always been -- a bar/lounge. You know that when you walk in the door. You may HOPE that going to a "sports bar" will lead to banter about sports... but, it could just as easily be about politics, the weather, the arts, etc. /Caveat Emptor/

"Real" technical discussions, of substance, happen in forums and mailing lists (which are increasingly private). Both are more easily peer moderated.

[I "crosspost" most of my mailing list questions here -- simply because it costs very little to do so -- though get most substantial answers from the lists (it's also a lot easier to share documents as well as control who sees what)]
Reply to
Don Y

That does seem to include John Larkin. He does tell us about stuff he has put together, but his design process looks rather like fiddling with existing circuits.

Getting interested in other people's designs does seem to be beyond him. He does seem to reject the idea of actually designing special purpose transformers.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

and you yell at everyone that they are idiots for not agreeing with you

after a decade is your transformer close to done yet?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Nerd fight! oh no he diiiint:

Reply to
bitrex

My class-D amp PCB layout is done!

I'll get my guys to review it. Maybe we can order PCBs on Monday.

This board was wonderful. Everything just flowed. But I'm glad it's done. PCB layout and coding are boring and make me crabby after a few days.

Ignore Sloman.

Yes, he is just a troll.

As much as I appreciate your *on topic posts*, if you think this is not the forum for you, perhaps you should find another forum. I would much prefer for you try to find a way to be less "crabby" rather than leave the group. As PH indicated, use your kill file.

Reply to
John S

Who?

Seriously, I have only one person on my "delete" list (because he never says anything that is both useful and relevant to electronics), and half a dozen more on my "mark already read" list. The latter group sometimes have useful and relevant things to say, but mostly not, so I only see them when someone responds. I use kill-thread and kill-subthread freely, and life is pretty sweet here.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

If I saw a discussion about "the arts" here I'd wonder what happened to the real regulars and what nefarious entity replaced them with malfunctioning clones. What have you done with them!

Reply to
bitrex

The problem I have in posting electronics on this group is that I work for a company where what I do is mostly proprietary. That makes it difficult f or me to post the interesting stuff I do. The second thing is that most of the questions I would ask are not general but specific and they are specif ic only after a bunch of background stuff has been assumed. So it is hard to ask for questions about things that I know that it takes many hours of p ondering (after a required background) to get to the bottom of. So there i s not too much I can do here relating to my day to day work.

That being said.....I have asked some general questions here and have had g ood responses that have been really helpful.

This group is un-moderated and pretty lively and has people who generally u nderstand or seek to understand electronics......we are lucky to still have this. I hate moderated groups. Even among the trolls here ( fill in your favorite one) they still do have a background and interest in electronics.

I find the mix of electronics/politics to be OK.

Reply to
Brent Locher

But the ratio is extreme, in the wrong direction.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

or a company where what I do is mostly proprietary. That makes it difficult for me to post the interesting stuff I do. The second thing is that most o f the questions I would ask are not general but specific and they are speci fic only after a bunch of background stuff has been assumed. So it is hard to ask for questions about things that I know that it takes many hours of p ondering (after a required background) to get to the bottom of. So there is not too much I can do here relating to my day to day work.

d good responses that have been really helpful.

y understand or seek to understand electronics......we are lucky to still h ave this. I hate moderated groups. Even among the trolls here ( fill in you r favorite one) they still do have a background and interest in electronics .

That's probably a rather personal evaluation. John Larkin's politics is a b it down-market - he liked Trump - and his interest in electronics is more about getting praised for his circuits than thinking about other peoples.

He's probably still our most prolific poster, but he doesn't set a a partic ularly good example. Win Hill might be a better model. Phil Hobbs is specta cularly good in his specialty - and he has written his own book on that spe cialty - and isn't too bad as an example either.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Right, and when even working as a self-employed contractor even the little-guys tend to want NDAs. It's not uncommon to work for a little-guy who hope or believe they're working on something big big big, and if you would like to be paid you at least have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Mr. Larkin seems to get a kick out of the idea that he's the only one who designs "real electronics" for real money here, which is simply not true. There seem to be a lot of retirees here with nothing better to do who drive the bulk of political ranting but some of us at least have a lot of years yet before we ever start collecting any social security.

Reply to
bitrex

If it's any consolation, I have seen enough of your critiques of circuits that when designing circuits I kinda already know what they would be already and can take that into account, and don't actually have to ask explicitly.

Fisherman teaches man to fish, and all that.

Reply to
bitrex

Little guys also don't have the resources to divert to litigation. And, if you're a one-man-shop, you likely don't have enough resources for them to make it worth the effort to litigate!

I recall talking with my lawyer re: the consequences of NDAs. My one-line takeaway was "treat THEIR secrets as you would treat your own". This seems fair. And, moral. I don't share my recipes for baked goods (at least not the REAL recipes! :> ) fine-tuned over decades of trial and error tweeks!

[*licensing* and copyright are a different kettle of fish. You want to OWN (copyright) all of the work that I do for you? Then, I'll have to reinvent every wheel that you're benefiting from lest some PAST client find himself facing a lawsuit for theft of *your* technology!]

No, he wants to think that *he* defines what constitutes "electronics". Largely from his apparent skillset deficiency in other fields.

Reply to
Don Y

I never said that. I personally know (and have drunk beer with) a few guys who post here, who do very serious electronic design.

I do tend to design in public, because I can. I think that a lot of other people could post their real circuits for discussion, without violating any NDAs.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin