Schematic preferences

It's a special case, one that likely wouldn't be used enough for it to be obvious. No thanks.

Reply to
krw

Fair argument, but the whole "let's use hierarchical" idea that you and I both support is often dismissed for the same reason ("won't be used enough for it to be obvious,"), don't you think? (Particular in companies that are usually doing small designs that could fit on just a few, say, C-sized sheets.)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Not true at all. If it worked, every design I did would be hierarchical. All of my FPGA designs are hierarchical. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Right, what I meant is that *other people* who weren't used to hierarchical designs before would be telling you as much.

But anyway, I accept that you don't find the C[1:20] syntax helpful/problem-proof enough to be useful.... I have, though. :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

--
Yes. Nice one! :-)
Reply to

--
My need for generating and disseminating drawings is modest, so I use my
trusty old HP DesignJet 450C.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Once our schematics get CADded, we print B-size schematics on a laser printer or on our digital copier. I design with pencil on vellum, so I need to be able to make copies of that for out layout person and such. The blueline doesn't get used much. Lots of engineers have never seen one before!

John

This is also true of the paper sizes used in the US. I'd almost bet that the German size standards are the metric versions of the US ones.

216 * 279 mm ?

Reply to
MooseFET

MooseFET schrieb:

Hello,

no, that is wrong. Only if the ration between the short and the long side is sqrt(2) you may cut two halfs of one sheet with the same ratio of the sides. Our DIN A4 ist 210 * 297 mm, DIN EN ISO 216.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Yes, you are right. The 8.5" x 11" US sizes allow for some loss from trimming the edges in the print shop. So although the print shop prints two 8.5x11 sheets on the same stock at it prints an 11x17 etc, the dimensions are not right to come out to exact.

Reply to
MooseFET

--- Not true.

ANSI drawing areas double with every step up, but the aspect ratios only stay the same for every other step.

For example,ANSI

LETTER SIZE DIMS AREA ASPECT RATIO ANSI X",Y" IN² X/Y

-------------+--------+-------+----------------- PORTRAIT A 8.5,11 93.5 0.773 (1/1.294) LANDSCAPE A 11,8.5 93.5 1.294 B 17,11 187 1.545 C 22,17 374 1.294 D 34,22 748 1.545 E 44,34 1596 1.294 VS ISO:

LETTER SIZE DIMS AREA ASPECT RATIO ISO Xmm,Ymm mm² X/Y

-------------+----------+---------+--------------- A0 1189,841 999,949 1.414 A1 841,594 499,554 1.416 A2 594,420 249,480 1.414 A3 420,297 124,740 1.414 A4 297,210 62,370 1.414 A5 210,148 31,080 1.419 A6 148,105 15,540 1.409

--- I don't think so.

Since the A0 size was chosen to have an area of one square meter with an aspect ratio ~ sqrt2, and each smaller size was half the area of the former, with the same aspect ratio, then A4 is the closest you can get to 8-1/2 X 11" since 216 X 279mm doesn't exist.

JF

Reply to
John Fields

I think the hiccup is that printing single pixel width lines=20 does not work. I'll bet that at 300 dpi the finest useful to=20 print line is at least 5 pixels wide.

Reply to
JosephKK