Re: *Opinions* re: MCU vendors

Hey, DonY,

Hi Spehro!

I've had good results with TI over the years, somwhat less so with the > other guys, and have seen a bit more tendency to chase big markets at > the cost of wider markets, and obsolete parts from them as well.

Yes, market size is always the elephant in the room. Trick is to make sure you're not *behind* him! :>

If it's ARM you're looking at, I like Luminary, and even more so now > that TI owns them.

Yeah, I was looking at one of their "new parts" -- which always has me nervous. If there is too much demand, getting samples and production quantities can be a PITA. If there isn't enough, the part stays as vaporware (and, thus, "getting samples and production quantities" can be a REAL pita! :> )

I think I will prepare tentative designs with each device and start working on the code. Wait to see what really materializes before commiting to building a real prototype (I prototype in foil, anyways, so there's no wasted effort there). I'll probably learn more from that aspect than from the hardware -- which is usually just a bit of busywork.

Hey, did you ever get those tons of metal "working" (in your garage? :> ). I've got to talk to a guy here this month about that sort of stuff (yet another thing on the learning curve)

--don

Reply to
D Yuniskis