Schematic Entry Tools? (from: Silly Resistor Values)

Terry, Oh, the world may be changing, but not that much.

You see, I am all too well aware of the trials and tribulations in converting over to Orcad or other software. Lets just say I had a 'professional' interest in it!

But, if you are just starting out, or are just a hobbyist, then of course, you don't have much to loose going over to new software. But, if you are a professional (and, many of us here ARE professionals!) then that transition is full of wasted time 'reinventing' the wheel as you realize that it will take 'x' amount of time re-drawing that basic filter block into the new software, or having to confirm that the simulations in the new software match the results of the old software. A professional doesn't have time to manage two separate design flows, unless the payoff is much higher than maintaining the old system, i.e. and order of magnitude or more!

And, if you are a company, and not just a single professional, the cost/benefit has to be even HIGHER to warrant a change.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

And I have around 25 years of archives (on CD(*), plus multiple file cabinets of paper schematics dating back almost 50 years ;-)... some in the old original Capture, most in PSpice Schematics. So, going to a new software would have to show benefits... works pretty much like my old software AND can import my archives _with_ease_!

(*) I wrote to CD all of my old 5-1/4" floppies several years ago when I tossed my last machine that had a 5-1/4" drive, then recently did all my 3-1/2" stuff

...Jim Thompson

Not really. I don't know about the video driver because that always worked, for any PC I've used it on. The generic printer driver was very much open. You could configure it in all sorts of directions. Heck, there were even people who modded it so it would spit out a schematic on a daisywheel printer. They'd just use the dashes and dots plus micro-stepping. It worked but probably wore out the wheels and ribbons really fast.

Same here :-)

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Bollocks. I don't choose to work for someone based on their willingness to let me hack at Linux. Your attitude is juvenile.

Decent engineers have no problems finding work. The terminally stupid live off the government and whine - constantly.

unemployed unemployable

4) unemployable.

Slowman == stupid

Reply to
krw

So sad.

Incredible.

No, it really isn't. Linux has nothing to do with the issue.

Instead of being weighted down by Linux, and the hacking involved with that, perhaps.

You're simply being stupid now.

You don't include any costs other than the PO for the software. Clearly you haven't a clue.

I'll use whatever I need. I don't need Linux. My employer would be

*stupid* to support Linux.

No one forced you to join this thread. Bye.

Linux hacking is fun for some, I'm sure, but some of us actually have to produce something too.

Linux has *nothing* to add, in this situation.

Reply to
krw

These days, you don't have to be a hacker to find Linux useful. Your opinion is based on a long-out-dated prejudice.

Since krw has managed to find work, he likes to believe this. It isn't generally true.

It's a false equation. Employability depends on the society where you live and a female engineer - no matter how competent - would have trouble finding work in Saudi Arabia. Korean engineers presumably have the same sort of problem in Japan, and Afro-American enginers had the same sort of problem in the southern states of the USA a generation ago. My problem is being 66 years old in the Netherlands. I'll get away from the Netherlans in a few years, which may help.

krw isn't all that bright, and doesn't seem to appreciate my intelligence (such as it is). I can console myself that I've fooled a few IQ tests in my time - as has Eeyore - and a few patent examiners (but then again, so has krw, though his patents are owned by IBM who had a policy of patenting anything they could to provide valueless cannon-fodder for patent-swaps to get access to useful patents).

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I see you're still just as stupid as ever.

That you live off the government and whine continually? You sure do! That decent engineers have no problems finding jobs? They don't. They're still in short supply. ...and no, I've never had trouble finding work.

Hardly.

Then don't live in SA, dumbshit!

Move where the work is, and stop whining!

Perhaps not, but unlike you even I can find productive work. Yes, I have seven patents, so? Unlike you, I don't make a big deal of it.

Reply to
krw

Your vision needs testing.

?

I stopped getting unemployment benefit when I turned 65; to that extent I'm no longer "living off the government", whatever that may mean. I don't happen to consider my output "whining", but krw has any number of bizarre ideas.

In your immediate vicinity? Perhaps.

Lucky you.

The same female engineer couldn't leave Saudi Arabia without a male relative's permission - it isn't an option for her.

Who is whining? If I could move, I would, but it doesn't happen to be a practical option. Your opinion about what might be practical for me wouldn't going to be well-informed, even if anybody were silly enough to take it seriously.

Congratulations. But don't imagine that the good fit between your previous experience and your current employer's needs guarantees you another job when your current employer's needs change.

Neither do I, as a general rule. Patents, like publications, can be found on the web and don't depend on anybodies opinion. Stupid people can get stupid patents - yours are a textbook example, which is why you don't make a fuss about them. Mine aren't quite that stupid, though you seem to lack the wit to appreciate this.

-- Bll Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

even

But it does illustrate the kind of intellectual slum in which Keith "works".

Using Linux hasn't involved hacking for quite a while now. My last couple of upgrade haven't required me to do anything beyond approving the choice of partition.

No - you are being ignorant, not for the first time.

'd

Most crap IT people are expert at itemising the costs of converting to a system they don't understand. They are less competent at assessing the benefits of adopting a new system.

Your employer is stupid enough to hire you, and IT people who are frightened of Linux.

Linux - in the hands of competent people - can be quite productive. Apple like it, and it seems that Nokia does too

In krw's opinion, which isn't exactly definitive.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Much of the post processing stuff was pretty open. They had a video driver generator, but that didn't work most of the time.

One of the guys using SDT386 was a program hacker in a previous life. He used those skills to figure out the hooks to write a generic VESA driver for any resolution. He released his source code to the group. Another guy took that work and converted everything to C and wrote the Windows GUI interface around that code. Pretty amazing work by these guys.

Some modifications to the component library compiler have yielded some nice improvements. The only thing I really miss in SDT is support for hierarchial components. Plus, with the ASCII intermediate net list that SDT spits out, you can write your own netlisters.

--
Mark
Reply to