Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale

I would guess(tm) that they are also disaster movie fans.

NOAA "Severe Weather and Special Events" See images and animations under "Florida" heading.

Northern Hemisphere composite IR rainbow: (jpg image) (animation)

View of North America centered rougly on Florida: Note that this displays predicted storm behavior and not observed behavior. Plenty of room for errors and discrepancies.

If you move the day/time marker along the bottom of the screen, you can see what the computahs predict for the path of the storm. Or, you can just click the "play" arrow (lower left) and it will move forward in time automagically.

Left click the mouse anywhere to get the predicted wind speed. Windy currently offers three forecast models (NAM, ECMWF and GFS) which often produce quite different predictions.

I've been playing with the models for about an hour. All 3 models predict that Hurricane Isis is going to decrease in intensity as it mows down Cuba on it's way to the west coast of Florida on Sunday night. It's still going to make a mess of Florida, but not as big a mess as previously expected. Also, hurricane Jose looks like it's going to move north and wander around in mid Atlantic Ocean.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

You are being unfair. They have Ihops and Olive Gardens too. I think. And possibly a few trees somewhere.

 Click to see the full signature

Windy is a great site. Looks like Irma is going to hang over Florida forever, the damage will be immense. Then it appears the remnants of Irma break up Jose and push him north and away from the coastline, so that's a plus.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

There are 4 nuclear plants in Florida: The Offshore Power Systems concept of a floating nuclear power plant was terminated in 1979.

Map of operational nuclear plants in USA:

Why wait? The two Bay City, Texas nuclear plants may soon become a problem if the Colorado River decides to overflow. You just might have a disaster to keep you happy soon enough:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It only takes one meltdown to ruin your day.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Actually Flagstaff is nice and cool. With neat orange dirt.

Martin Riddle

Flagstaff is a nice place. Orange dirt is pretty common stuff (iron).

Reply to
krw

Hasn't turned north yet.

Wind speed near the surface indicates low 90's here. The faster stuff is around 1000 m up.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

ng to look like it got hit by a bomb. From the NHC, Cat 5 damage assessment .

e destroyed, with total roof failure and wall collapse. Fallen trees and po wer poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last for weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or mo nths.

t decade and a half, but I doubt it's going to hold up against this. It's t hat nasty dependency of force on the square of the velocity coupled with th e area multiplier of the target- looks real bad.

3

Looks like we may see a first: two hurricanes colliding. Irma hugging the c oast and traveling northeast just in time to intercept Jose heading northwe st. Then the winds blowing north on Irma's east meet the winds blowing sout h on Jose's west side, everything blows out, and both storms subside.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Do nearby hurricanes cancel one another? Maybe so.

That's optimistic!

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

going to look like it got hit by a bomb. From the NHC, Cat 5 damage assessm ent.

l be destroyed, with total roof failure and wall collapse. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last for we eks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months.

past decade and a half, but I doubt it's going to hold up against this. It' s that nasty dependency of force on the square of the velocity coupled with the area multiplier of the target- looks real bad.

6/03

e coast and traveling northeast just in time to intercept Jose heading nort hwest. Then the winds blowing north on Irma's east meet the winds blowing s outh on Jose's west side, everything blows out, and both storms subside.

It takes a hurricane to blow out a hurricane.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

astated--nothing left but dirt, rocks, roads, and Taco Bells.

into the stone age: "Hey! Upgrade!"

(I like Arid Zona, but that's funny stuff.)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

vastated--nothing left but dirt, rocks, roads, and Taco Bells.

into the stone age: "Hey! Upgrade!"

Yes, but you live in a state whose biggest claim to fame is having a giant hole in it. :-)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

devastated--nothing left but dirt, rocks, roads, and Taco Bells.

em into the stone age: "Hey! Upgrade!"

You mean giant asshole living in it...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

There have been hurricanes down there about forever. We set new wind-speed records because we now have hurricane hunter planes, satellites, balloons, radar, and zillions of realtime weather stations that we never had before. And, if you keep watching a noisy signal, you'll now and then get a new record-maximum spike. Try that on a digital scope with a good noise source.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Yep. The most popular tourist attraction in the United States. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

The GC gets about 5 million tourists per year. San Francisco gets 19 million. The Golden Gate Bridge alone gets about 10 million tourists. Golden Gate Park gets around 10 million too.

The Las Vegas strip gets something insane, over 40 million. I can't imagine why.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I can't imagine why.

Gambling and prostitution.

Reply to
John S

But you generally lose.

 Click to see the full signature

e:

with

pre-devastated--nothing left but dirt, rocks, roads, and Taco Bells.

them into the stone age: "Hey! Upgrade!"

of

giant

with one of them the loss is the purpose, but afaik techincally that isn't legal in Las Vegas

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen