Simpson 260 series 8

I have a Simpson 260 series 8 meter with two burned resistors. Simpson will not provide a schematic for these anymore citing some BS safety requirement. I would have to send it to them for repair. Of course I would! Does anyone have this model who could please look at the section of the board I would identify in question and tell me what resistors are in those positions? I would sincerely appreciate any help with this. Thanks, Lenny

Reply to
captainvideo462002

Maybe this site will help :

JC

Reply to
Archon

I've been there but there's no schematics for the series 8 though. Lenny

Reply to
captainvideo462002

I'm not familiar with these meters but there is the schematic for Simpson 260 Series 8 - VOM 260-8xi 1969 Edition

Is that not the same?

JC

Reply to
Archon

Correction : 2001 Edition

JC

Reply to
Archon

I've been there but there's no schematics for the series 8 though. Lenny

You should download the 260-8xi schematic from

Simpson uses the same basic design for a meter, changing features for the different models in a series. The 260-8xi schematic should cover the basic series 8 model as well. Just ignore any features in the 8xi that aren't in the basic series 8.

Cheers!!

--
"In theory, there isn\'t any difference between theory and practice.  In
practice, there is."  - Yogi Berra

The 8xi is a totally different design. Although it still uses a 50uA movement and would likely have some resistor values etc in common, the 8xi has several additional ranges, does not have the 5kv range and is a rather different physical form factor. These are just the differences I can name from memory.

The series 8 bakelite model should probably be much closer to the series 7 in design, I would think.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 14:36:36 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" put finger to keyboard and composed:

There are quite a few Simpson manuals here: ftp://bama.sbc.edu/downloads/simpson/

Unfortunately the following is only a user manual: ftp://bama.sbc.edu/downloads/simpson/260-8/

FWIW, I notice that the 260 Series 5 has resistor strings that are similar to those in the 260-8xi.

If you could tell us the values of other resistors in the same string, then perhaps we could work out the values of the burnt ones.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

impson/

loads/simpson/260-8/

I've written to Simpson and included a diagram of the board which shows the burnt resistors. We'll see if they respond favorably. I'll let you know. Thanks, Lenny.

Reply to
captainvideo462002