RS232 Datalogging and Control

I've been handed the task of controlling a thermal cycling oven and a digital voltmeter, both RS232 enabled, so as to control the oven from a computer ( automatically send commands ) and log data from the voltmeter.

Unfortunately my expertise in this area is somewhat out of date. MS Hyperterminal doesn't look capable enough, OK for logging data but no programmable capability.

My question is, is there a datalogging program available that also allows ascii characters to be sent to addressable instruments, in order to (a) control the oven and (b) log data from the DVM without programming?

I imagine writing a program in some language, possibly Visual Basic, is the way to go but that'll get me bogged down in learning a software language. However, if I can't buy in suitable software I'll just have to learn VB, but does anyone know of such software?

thanks,

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

I'm not aware of any freeware for the task, but that doesn't mean it isn't out there.

What platform are you using? If an NT-based Windows O/S you will probably need to go to a VB-type solution. Learning curve if you haven't been there. But from your reference to hyperterm I assume you've been around pooters a while. If your platform is non-NT-based Windoze, QBasic will provide a suitable quick'n'dirty environto do your bidding. Surely you have programmed in (Q)Basic? That's what I'd be using. (Win98SE)

Reply to
budgie

For data logging, you may want to look at the DataQ products like below. For the multimeter interface, the bottom link might be of interest.

Si Ballenger

I would say take a look at National Instruments. I used them several years back to control an environmental test chamber using a combination of GPIB and RS-232. It was great! They have a lot of expertise in data acquisition and control software. The learning curve is a bit high but if you can afford it their software cuts these kinds of tasks down by 2/3rds. They have a kind of Graphical based programming language which makes it fairly easy to program. Also, if you must, you can write your own code...I think you can write it in C but I'm not sure.

you can find them at

GOOD LUCK!

Andy wrote:

Reply to
Jimbo

Yes, command line programming in HP QBasic to control an I/O device from a dedicated microcontroller ( computer with an integrated screen, keyboard and GPIB connector on the back ) about 12 years ago! I didn't like to mention it as I thought it was rather old hat nowadays and I'd be laughed for solving the problem like that! Maybe not! I'm using Windows '98 btw.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

I saw a website demonstration of NI Labview and liked it, a graphical programming language that you don't have to learn syntax for. However, I am only at this company for a few months and they don't have Labview, so quick 'n dirty is the only solution available to me ( I'm really an analogue engineer ).

Looks like attempting to piece something together from QBasic or buying in some ready-made suitable software are my two best options so far, thanks for the replies folks.

Reply to
Andy

The cheapest/easiest solution may not *always* be the best, but it's got one helluva head start.

I still use a LOT of 16-bit apps under 98SE (which is one of the many reasons that I stay with 98) and do a lot of QBasic stuff, with some conversion now under way to VB-DOS. This is stuff that uses I/O ports that become problematic under NT-based MS-OS'es.

All my PCB design work is done with DOS-based Protel AutoTrax.

Reply to
budgie

Andy,

This sounds like a job for Perl. Perl is a great language when you are dealing with any kind of ASCII interface. Also it will interpret "regular expressions" (Unix style). Also, it's a language that most programmers can pick up in about 8 hours. Also, if you look for modules at

you can use code that others have written to provide yourself with a terminal interface. Even though perl has a strong Linux/Unix history, there are many windows "interpreters" available. I recommend "Active Perl". It's free and it's the best in my opinion. For a quick primer buy this book:
It's available online.

"Analogue" ?!?! It's been a very long time since I have seen that word spelled that way. Are you British?

GOOD LUCK BUDDY! James

, Andy wrote:

Reply to
Jimbo

You could have a look here:-

Geo

Reply to
Geo

I found an ad in the back of Circuit Cellar which led to....

You can capture your data in Excel (or some other application, they say), manipulate it using spreadsheet cell formulas or VBA, and send out data or commands.

Just a thought. Good luck.

John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

You could try Softwire from

I have not used it, but I think it is similar to Labview, but supposedly easier to use. It costs about $995, but you can download an evaluation. I use a communications library component in Borland Delphi for serial communications, but it gets tricky at that level. I only know enough VB to do some tricks in MS Access, and I hate the syntax.

Also, there is an Excel Add-in from Measurement Computing that interfaces to their analog and digital interface boards, some of which are less than $100. I don't know if it can do anything with RS232, however. It uses USB, and the board has analog and digital IO.

Paul

Paul E. Schoen