Ritzy San Francisco condo tower is now leaning 26 INCHES with tilt set to progress (2023 Update)

It's going to take a total collapse before the moron politicians realize the moron engineers don't know what they're doing, and that the whole bunch of them are a waste of oxygen.

Fred Bloggs

Reminds me of this:

Spehro Pefhany

Look like normal contemporary architecture to me.

Reply to
jlarkin

The issue, though, is whether the best word is 'contemporary', or 'temporary'. Mortgage holders and insurers, as well as tenants and neighbors, care greatly about the difference.

Reply to
whit3rd

The tilt is now a terrifying 0.18 degrees. Don't park nearby.

Rick Gropper owns the building and is a member of the NYC mayor's office. The whole bunch of them are a waste of oxygen

Reply to
bitrex

Well, what makes you think that the politicians can come up with a fix if the engineers can't?

Reply to
Flyguy

You can't go by that. There are huge stress multipliers when massive structures go off center.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Pleae show your work.

Reply to
jlarkin

That piece of junk will fall over before the stresses become too large. The built no doubt matches the "quality" of the design.

The sad part is it's not even a really tall building. Losers in CA can't even construct a simple building without messing up.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Handel Architects is a New York firm. The developer was Millennium Partners, a New York firm.

I wish you incompetent yokels would leave us alone and not jam our restaurants and beaches and ski towns.

Reply to
jlarkin

That can be arranged if you stop sending your emigrants to other states!

I wonder... do you think it is Larkin himself that is driving everyone out of California? It reminds me of the cattle drives they used to have. LOL

Reply to
Rick C

NYC design? Even worse. It took a Chicago firm to design the new trade center building for NYC. They just don't know how to do stack steel and concrete in a way that it doesn't topple over. Sounds like the clowns in SF couldn't even try. The tallest self supporting structures designed in NYC in the past 40 years are piles of trash bags.

50 stories and 600 feet was impressive, maybe 60 years ago. They could have photocopied the plans of dozens of building that can suport their own weight as a starting point, but no, had to f*ck that up, starting at the foundation.
Reply to
Cydrome Leader

They built it cheap. Concrete instead of steel, friction piles pounded into mushy bay fill. It can probably be fixed.

An earthquake would be interesting. That fill goo tends to liquify.

Hopefully it falls over soon, I want to see that.

NYC design + CA construction = recipe for total failure.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I wouldn't mind. It's just another boring glass box. But the tilt is invisible, fraction of a degree, hardly the Leaning Tower of Pisa, which is still standing. Similar problem.

It wouldn't shock me if lots of buildings lean more that than MT and nobody notices. It just gets more hysteria.

I suspect the construction was in compliance to the drawings. Nobody has claimed otherwise.

There's nothing wrong with "CA" construction. My house (sitting on bedrock!) is fine.

Actually, downtown San Francisco is beautiful if you don't get too close. 2 miles is about right.

Hey, we just discovered this, under the Highland Avenue bridge over the Bernal Cut.

jlarkin

That pretty much depends upon what you call beautiful. Steel, glass and concrete doesn't fall into that category, but if that is all you know, then it must be.

Reply to
Flyguy

The reflections of a red sunset off the glass buildings, or the glare illuminating the fog, are nice from a distance. The gory details don't show from 2 miles away.

I walk over the freeway twice a day and see that a lot. I like it. There could be worse views.

The famous New York skyline is ugly by comparison.

At 2 mm per year rise, sea level will submerge it before it topples over. Both hazards are hysteria.