Image From Space Shows Downtown San Francisco Sinking Slowly Around Millennium Tower

Looks like the Millennium tower is going to take out the downtown area of the city next.

Fred Bloggs

A few-inches dimple way downtown is not a problem. Most of the city sits on rock way above sea level and isn't going anywhere. The MT building was badly designed and ugly besides.

New Orleans, Houston, Miami, Jakarta are really sinking.

Reply to
jlarkin

Here's one example of rock way above sea level

and in an earthquake, the 'isn't going anywhere' label doesn't apply.

Rock does have an advantage over soil, in that it doesn' liquefy. It can still move dangerously, and the geologic history we know indicates a lot of it has done so.

Reply to
whit3rd

I don't know of any big rocks like that in SF. There is some smaller stuff in Glen Canyon that, low-probability, could take out some hikers.

We do have a lot of eucalyptus trees. They are non-native and shallow rooted, so occasionally fall over even without an earthquake.

The MT building is leaning *over 0.1 degrees* now. I calculate that if you and Fred stay at least 2500 miles away, you might survive the crash.

Reply to
jlarkin

It's a bloody big problem if one side of the tower is on rock (or just on firmer soft stuff) and the other isn't, though.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

MT is super heavy and none of the pilings reach bedrock.

The real problem is that the building is full of lawyers.

Reply to
jlarkin

That's a problem? The only problem I see here is if they get enough warning of its sudden collapse.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

0.11 degres of tilt in 12 years. Sea level rise will submerge it before it collapses.
Reply to
jlarkin

On a sunny day (Fri, 26 Nov 2021 14:50:46 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The centrifugal force due to rotation of the earth will push it one way, pointing south, as it is not on the equator.

??

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Millennium Tower is leaning North-East.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Mo wanted to walk the Salesforce elevated garden so I grumbled and went with her, a short BART ride from our village.

The adjacent building is the Millennium Tower. You can't compare it against Salesforce because Salesforce is curved, but if you line up an edge against nearby square buildings there is no visible lean. 0.11 degrees would be hard to see and I doubt that the other buildings are vertical to 0.11 degrees either.

At least she bought me a beer.

Better find something else to get worked up about. Albatross divorce rates maybe.

Reply to
jlarkin