1905 San Francisco

Here's a video from a streetcar in 1905. A couple of near pedestrian accidents at 2:35 and 4:20.

Mike

Reply to
amdx

Very cool. Those aren't streetcars, they're cable cars. They have no motors and go 8 MPH flat out. The spikey building dead canter, at the end of Market Street, is the Ferry Building and it's still there.

At one point the cable car passes 1 block north of Highland Technology World Headquarters.

John

Today:

Reminds me of my commute: Diamond Heights to Portola, which becomes Market Street, with the ferry building still there. I turn right just about at Van Ness.

These are streetcars now. The slot between the tracks is gone.

MUNI is still killing pedestrians at a steady clip.

John

Neat video. It struck me as being later than 1905 though. I looked up when California required license plates. It was 1913-1914. The cars seem a little too sophisticated for 1905 too.

Reply to
brent

..pity that the pedestrians are still replicating themselves via some strange interaction process not explained in physics...

Reply to
Robert Baer

4:20.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NINOxRxze9k&feature=player_embedded

Good point. Too many cars for 1905, too.

John

Interesting, a Trolley bus? (with tires)

Martin Riddle

We have electric trolley busses with rubber tires (2-wire overhead feed). And electric streetcars (1-wire feed). And underground BART trains with side-feed power brushes. And cable cars that have no motor, that grip a moving cable under the central track slot, like in the old movie.

Also nasty diesel busses.

San Francisco has been buying up old streetcars from around the world, restoring them, and running them on the F line, Market Street and The Embarcadero. One is an open boat thing from England. They have a couple of the old New Orleans streetcars (one named Desire of course) that I certainly rode when I was a kid.

Some of these streetcars are 100 years old and run fine. Diesel busses are lucky if they hold up for 20 years.

John

I particularly liked the idiot on the bicycle at 1:13. Riding the slot isn't smart (there's another later) but doing it right in front of the cable car is a Darwin moment in progress.

Reply to
krw

n't

r is

I thought the teen boys all suited up, the one running S curves in front of the trolley (apparently just to get on camera) and the teen boys hanging onto the back of a car were interesting. The lady in the big hat and bustle was interesting also.

The cop totally calm in the middle of all of this chaos is funny too.

In a way it reminds me of what it might be like seeing Pompei right before the volcano blew or Atlantis (if real) right before it sank.

Not knowing San Fransisco I presume that most of the buildings and the people all seen here were destroyed the following year in the giant disaster.

One heck of a time capsule, if authentic 1905!

Is there a story behind who did it and WHY this film was shot then?

Reply to
Greegor

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I saw a blurb on a program the other month about a company in Oregon or Washington that is designing new Trolleys. Apparently there are no new trolley makers in the US. And most are purchased from abroad. I think it was United Street car

Martin Riddle

$20 million for six streetcars!

John

Not to mention the cost of maintaining the infrastructure.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse
129 years of Electric Buses, and still going:

They just bought new ones in 98. Dayton may be a fraction of its former self, but the trolleys are a nice touch. Pittsburgh's were great until they ripped them out..

Steve

Reply to
osr

It's been almost 50 years since I last rode on a bus :-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Busses are bigger, now. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

Ignoring airport shuttles, the last time for me was 1973.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

Oooops! I forgot airport shuttles are buses ;-)

But it has been _over_ 50 years since I rode something like a Greyhound, and just under 50 years since I rode a city bus. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

1974, to Fairbanks for my flight home from the US Army. That was also the last time I was on a plane.
Michael A. Terrell

Why John, I had figured your were already married when you moved there! ;-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner