Ritzy San Francisco condo tower is now leaning 26 INCHES with tilt set to progress (2023 Update)

torsdag den 13. januar 2022 kl. 02.16.04 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

tower of Pisa leans almost 4 degrees, and afaiu the only reason it is still standing after ~850 years in an earthquake zone is the mushy ground it is build on

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

John Larkin is unwilling to think about the real hazard posed by sea level rise. His 2mm per year is essentially the thermal expansion of the warming oceans.

The actual problem is 6 metres of sea level rise tied up in the Greenland ice sheet, and another four tied up in the West Antarctic ice sheet. If they were kind enough to melt in place the consequent sea level rise would be gradual. Evidence from the end of the last ice age suggests that they are likely to slide off into the ocean in large chunks, and the consequent rise in sea level will be quite rapid (and not easily predictable, since it depends on processes going on underneath ice sheets that are a couple of miles thick.)

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Nobody is going to step forward and say "my bad, we're retarded". Deny and stall will be the strategy.

So building some jenga tower on pile of sloppy mud isn't CA construction? Who did the work?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Kinda like modern art. If you want to see something REALLY beautiful check out this:

Flyguy

Beautiful, but I don't want them in my bed.

Luckily, I sleep about 375 feet above sea level.