RF sig gen ~$250

This just posted on a physics site.

I might have to buy one.

Anyone already got one?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I've not used that one, but I bought a similar one from this guy:

Probably they both incorporate this chip:

Best Regards,

ChesterW
+++
Dr Chester Wildey
Founder MRRA Inc.
Electronic and Optoelectronic Instruments
MRI Motion, fNIRS Brain Scanners, Counterfeit and Covert Marker Detection
Fort Worth, Texas, USA
www.mrrainc.com
wildey at mrrainc dot com
Reply to
ChesterW

Home brew Immunity testing?

Too bad it deos not go to 30Mhz.

Martin Riddle

Looks a bit scary. First problem: I'd want to locate the RF near the item being driven/tested, but this has the type A connector so it locates the RF at the computer (which is an interfering source or ten). You can get A/A extension cords, but those just add another incompatible can't-find-when-you-need item. Second problem, I don't generally want an RF generator to go wandering. It's small, but that means it's rarely gonna be returned to its assigned storage spot. Third problem, what heppens when your PC is unavailable? They've got an answer for that, standalone with a wallwart power source, but problem #1 means the generator gets buried in cords near a power strip, where it can easily be forgotten and lost.

When your PC is unavailable, you can't just use any available one unless you bring your clearly-labeled USB stick of software... and software-install privileges.

All this assumes that the product is a fine generator and has excellent software support: it isn't a complete standalone unit, though, and ought to be considered a five-part kit, with one part 'the generator', one extension cord, one RF cable, one wallwart, one software bundle. With a kit bag, six parts. Terminator, seven parts. BNC adapter, eight parts.

Reply to
whit3rd

Not me and not for $250. The value added seems to be in the USB interface and the software.

For $175, you can get the Analog Devices ADF4351 development board and software: There are also boards using the ADF4351 all over eBay for about $50: Most look like clones of the AD development system, while some add an STM32F103 processor and LCD panel for $75. For example:

I'm practicing resisting temptation (for the time being).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Thanks for posting. I looked and AD sells an evaluation board. Did not im mediately find a price for the AD evaluation board, so looked on AlliExpres s and found evaluation boards for $39 and up. And also interesting was a AD4351 based signal generator at $58. That has a LCD display and touch scr een so no PC required.

Just checked Ebay. There the evaluation board is cheaper at $29 but the s ignal generator is more expensive at $71.

Anyone alroady got one?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Don't forget that adf4351 (and similar devices) synthesisers are from 2.2-4.4GHz, and that lower frequencies are derived by digital division.

Hence any output below 2.2GHz will be a more like a square wave than a sine wave, and there will be the obvious harmonics.

Reply to
Tom Gardner