Odd thing

What is it? It looks a little like a wallwart psu. But I'm far from convinced. I vaguely recall 42v being used rather than 220v in some places, but don't remember any details.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

42V DC is the nominal charger voltage used for charging 36V Lithium Ion cells used on electric bicycles.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

The intention was to replace the 12 V with 42 V in car electrification, but I have not heard about it for years.

Reply to
upsidedown

From Popular Mechanics Magazine... Whatever Happened to the 42-Volt Car? "So what went wrong here? The automotive industry found that switching off 42 volts wasn't that easy."

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I don't believe it's any of the 3 explanations offered so far. It's a 1980s soviet device.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It was a bad idea.

Reply to
krw

Looks like something like Snap Circuits. The 220:42 center tapped would be the highest voltage it would be safe for students.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany