PLL in rf signal generator

What I;m doing now is doing test of a rf signal generator.

My professor might buy it via e-bay.

When I turned it on, it showed Uncal warning and generated no rf signal.

Meaning of error code was that PLL is unlocked.

I'm ,however, newcomer to RF generator world.

.. What does "PLL unlocked " means for RF signal generator.

The model I'm doing test is

fluek 6060 B

Reply to
sperelat

"sperelat"

** Means the RF gene is in sulking mode.

Its sulking cos it don't like being put on eBay when it is stolen property.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

A PLL locks an oscillator frequency to a reference, possibly through a frequency divider so it can deliver a variety of frequencies. If the PLL is unlocked it means that it can't pull the oscillator frequency in to match the reference.

So either your output signal is the wrong frequency (perhaps very wrong) or it isn't there at all.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

PLLs use a reference frequency, a VCO (or several), programmable dividers, loop filters and phase detectors. The basic idea is simple but many instruments use loops within loops and swallow counters and the poop hits the fan. Not for beginners!

Charles