Re: The ultimate solution to "fairness"

> Eeyore wrote:

> > > Jim Thomps> > > >>The ultimate solution to "fairness"... > > > > Oh dear, the Alzheimer's is kicking in again .... > > > > " Obama is a leveler. He has come to narrow the divide between rich and

poor. "

> > > Given the vast differences, do you really see a problem with that ? Over

the last

> > decade or so, both in the US and UK the rich have got vastly richer, the

poor

> > have got a lot poorer and the middle class are struggling. Is that fair ? > > > Ain't nuttin' fair... > > In America, one is supposed to be free to try, to be free to succeed, > > but not forced to be "equal". > > No-one forcing you to be equal but I just read in the papers that Mel

Gibson's getting

divorced. No pre-nup so his wife is in for half the estate valued at ~ $500

million or

therabouts. I mean, what can you do with that much money that a tenth of it

wouldn't

keep you happy ? I'd be quite pleased with 1% ! > > Graham

You've got to factor in how many rich people there are, and how they got there.

Most of the rich's recent leap forward comes from a few exceptional individuals getting especially outrageous paychecks. That means certain CEOs and mortgage-bubble bonus recipients particularly, some sports stars, entertainers, and Al Gore.

Would you treat a factory-owner's return on 20 years' investment the same as a Freddie Mac executive's bonus? Would that be fair? Or good for society?

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat