the ultimate multimeter!

I've recently done an extensive web search for the ultimate multimeter. Ideally it would have at least the following features:

-inductance, capacitance, resistance

-frequency

-voltage (ac/dc, truerms)

-current (ac/dc)

-relative mode

-temperature

-autoranging for all measurements

-continuity

-backlight

-10000 counts (or better)

-less than $200

The wavetek meterman 37xr

meets all of the criteria except it doesnt measure temperature. But I WANT temperature (why dont they just throw it in?). It seems that there are many meters that almost meet the criteria, except they dont measure inductance.

Does anyone know of a meter that has everything?

Asa

Reply to
Asa Cannell

Actually, I *have* a 37XR. Nice meter, hardly ultimate though. That would also need to have at least a USB or serial port along with an h/fe/ socket with C-B-E ident.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Nope, including that one. Its capacitance- and inductance-measuring precision are both literally 1,000 times worse than an inexpensive dedicated LC meter

can offer, and 40 nF/4 mH minimum ranges aren't useful for anyone except maybe an HVAC repairman.

This is just an example of a product that does a great many things badly.

For temperature measurement, you can buy a thermocouple adapter (e.g.,

that will work with any DMM.

-- jm

Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

John Miles

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 17:06:39 -0700, John Miles wrote (in article ):

I have a Protek 506 that comes pretty close to the specs you describe. I still you a separate cap meter though.

-- remove the transistor from my name to respond

============================================================== Posted with Hogwasher. Mac first, Mac only:

Ken

Wow. Thats got the most features I have ever seen in a multimeter. Too bad its not 10000+ count. Otherwise I would snatch it up. I ended up buying the Meterman 37XR from

for $114 with free shipping and no tax in california, the lowest price on the net. (testmart is $99 but has 2 week lead time, no free shipping, and tax in CA)

Asa

Reply to
Asa Cannell

I just love it when someone expects everything and doesn't want to pay for it. Raise your max price until you get what you want. Duh.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

the

temperature

meters

repairman.

Typical Wavetek. I have the AADE LC meter IIb, and I'm very satisfied with it. The only thing I wished it had was a power jack for an AC adapter. But I took care of that.. ;-)

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

I used to have a Fluke DMM that had a nice function; you could turn on a continuous tone that was frequency proportional to a full-range indication. It was really handy to be able to just listen to the tone when I was adjusting some peak or null condition, and I often used it to test ground bonds on airframes. Sure was handy to be able to grab and shake some big turbine mount while listening for erratic bond conditions.

Ed wb6wsn

Reply to
Ed Price