Re: The real deal....

That's a bizarre schoolyard taunt. No, deficits matter when you're deep in debt and spending 1.76x your treasury's income. If you're spending 1.10x that's not as bad, obviously.

As opposed to thousands of billions spent by Barack for nothing? You don't understand the magnitudes, clearly. I don't like the wars either, not the old ones or Barack's new ones, but that's not where the money's going. The money's going to social programs generally, and transfer payments specifically. Vote-buying.

How about calculating the actual numbers? I wrote a small model, a spreadsheet.

Here's what the spreadsheet says: either we cut the rate of growth of government (from 12% under Barack) to below the rate of GDP growth (1.8% currently, under Barack), or we're cooked. Quickly.

T'ain't rocket science. We can't afford what we've got now, and they're expanding it far faster than tax revenue could ever grow, ever. If Barack increased taxes 50% tomorrow it's not enough.

It's a disaster.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

mes.

datory

se.

No, it's just cleaner. This way those same people can take your money, 100% guaranteed, but they can stay home and watch television while they're doing it. Keeps them off the streets.

My unemployment insurance was saving up 6 months' expenses up, on my own, working two full-time minimum wage jobs. I was 17.

But it's so much more convenient to just let the government take it from other people if you ever need it. That way you don't have to take care of yourself, and you don't have to save. Or work.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

"Unemployment insurance is a premium" WHO pays? It's paid by the employer. That's a good reason NOT to hire in risky times.

I'm counting on the Darwin phenomenon to work properly ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I don't consider extortion to be, in any way, clean.

Or they'll riot if not fed enough while watching daytime TV? Extortion.

I've never collected UI. I have at least 6month's cash (depending on how you figure it, indefinite).

...or they'll riot. Well, at least they'll get their exercise.

Reply to
krw

That's like saying that flood victims pay for flood insurance. Employers don't even come close to paying for it.

...but the *children*!

Reply to
krw

Who are these people of which you speak? Certainly not the guys hanging around in front of the Home Depot, waiting to pick up any work people are willing to offer them. They aren't on unemployment or welfare. And they aren't sitting in front of TV, nursing thoughts of taking what they feel they deserve from society regardless of having earned it.

We need less TV watchers and more Home Depot guys in this world.

What if no one ever asked a hypothetical question?
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

lean times.

mandatory

sense.

place,

Overly hopeful optimist? Or Hope and Change? The universe bites (in every sense).

?-D

Reply to
josephkk

will

around.

can pick

back on

tooling up

shouldn't be

You are only pretending to be that ignorant please?

?-((

Reply to
josephkk

GDP is

economic

Not even that, impure saline when we are lucky.

8-(
Reply to
josephkk

in

So, just because Reagan and both Bushes were blazing spendaholics, = Obummer and company are not even worse spendaholics??? And not spending more destructively to 'murcan ideals?

?-(

Reply to
josephkk

in

Should it actually come to pass, there will be NOTHING civil about it.

?-(

Reply to
josephkk

of

,

, etc.

from

ts

well

Here are the actual numbers:

(millions of dollars) Revenue Spending overspending (deficit)

2007 2,567,985 2,728,686 160,701 2008 2,523,991 2,982,544 458,553 2009 2,104,989 3,517,677 1,412,688 2010 2,162,724 3,456,213 1,293,489 2011 2,173,700 3,818,819 1,645,119

01z1.xls

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I know. I think it's more likely that enough QE's will drive us into a hard depression... then all valuations reset to what the market will bear, NOT what unions can extort. In fact many job types will cease to exist. ...Jim Thompson

etc.

Washintonian logic: when revenues go down, the thing to do is increase spending by about 4x the decline.

"It is statistically provable that 97% of economists are idiots."

John

:

that

Agreed. Just don't take unemployment too while doing it.

Yup.

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

"Plasma bank" is actually a pretty good analogy--they're thinning the soup, with stock they've drained from someone else.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

"Hope and change" sounds a lot like IV glucose.

Reply to
krw

ng

er

ll

ff

c.

The 28% spending jump from '07 to '09 is basically the stimulus / bailout spending, kicking in over two years, all on the premise that borrowing-to-spend has a gain >1.

That 28% bump is now a permanent part of the budget. It didn't work, naturally, so they doubled down in 2011, which didn't work either.

It didn't work because the actual gain is

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Why doesn't Obama "just press the reset button" on the economy.

Reply to
krw

It would be reasonable to make basic food and medical care free. Not just for poor people, but for anyone who wants the basics.

It would also be more than reasonable to eliminate all income taxes and collect necessary government revenue from sales taxes.

Everybody would be much better off. Of course, none of that is politically possible.

John